Help wanted for a Peer Assist - Nov 27 - Building a scaleable web platform

craig.duncan

Nov 12, 2014, 8:01:49 AM11/12/14
to geneva-w...@googlegroups.com
Help wanted for a Peer Assist - Nov 27

Building a scaleable web platform

We are currently developing a technical plan for our PreventionWeb platfom and would like to invite interested parties to join us in a Peer Assist brainstorming discussion on Nov 27 from 09:30 - 13:00 followed by lunch. Location TBC but it will be in Geneva near the UN.

Background: The PreventionWeb is the main global repository for information on disaster risk reduction (DRR) and is managed by the UN Office for Disaster Risk Reduction, UNISDR.

Currently the site has around 80,000 unique users and 250,000 page views per month.

The DRR domain is expanding and our platform is also evolving to provide more active knowledge brokering services. So we are trying to develop a plan for a system that can handle double or quadruple the current traffic.

The objective of this Peer Assist is to learn from the experience of others who have made the transition to a large scale web platform, and explore the related ideas.

Discussion will include:

Moving to a modular platform that will allow parallel development tracks

Developing a flexible and scaleable offshore development model

Moving to a UN standard platform - Drupal 8 (when it is ready...)

Infrastructure implications - use of cloud, content delivery networks etc.

If you are interested in helping us, please send me an email that briefly describes your interest and related experience. Those selected will get a free lunch.

Thanks

Craig dot Duncan at un dot org