Privilege and request

Andy Andrea

Jun 22, 2020, 4:42:05 AM6/22/20
to geneva-w...@googlegroups.com

Hi Geneva Web Group Members,

It has been a while since I have written to the group and since we set up the group in October 2005 with Craig Duncan, Alex Faundez and Richard Warren. Maybe after we all feel comfortable with the easing of social distancing and if we can find a sponsor, we will restart the face to face meetings too.

There are 679 members benefiting from the information sharing and requests for support. Some of you are more active than others, but even the silent ones are reading and benefiting from the exchanges. It is you that is keeping this community alive, showing that even a basic tool can be useful. It has been a privilege to be part of this from the start.

We have moved a long way since those early days and the shift has been marked by ever more sophisticated challenges.

I have one I would like to share… We are looking for partners to help us map partnerships in support of the SDGs and improved humanitarian action. Part of that involves who is doing what, with whom, where, and with what objective. We are already conducting interviews to collect that information but are looking to automate much of the process by scraping what already exists in the public domain. We have been working with our friends at Gluonnet who have done a great job, but now we are looking to take that to the next stage.

We have been through an intensive process to identify 50 or so questions one needs to ask oneself about a partnership. Now we need to convert those into a form that can be understood by a computer for machine learning, and into a form whereby users can answer questions to identify which aspects of their partnerships they need to focus on more.

If this is of interest, or if you know someone who can help please get in touch.

All the best,

Andy