UN websites and GDPR

Alex Faundez

Aug 3, 2022, 4:33:57 AM8/3/22
to Geneva Web Group
Greetings, GWG members!

Are UN websites (especially those that use Google Analytics) subject to the GDRP?

If you're a UN agency based in Switzerland, do you need to add a GDPR warning to your website?

I did some research but couldn't come up with anything conclusive, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Alex Faundez

Genc Kastrati

Aug 3, 2022, 5:00:33 AM8/3/22
to Alex Faundez, Geneva Web Group, Genc Kastrati

Hi Alex,

Good question! It is one for the lawyers as every organization needs to assess the risk and compliance and decide. Language added to the directive later states IOs are subject to GDPR, but of course it is a bit more complicated. The relationship between the IO and EC is also important here. Voila an article that might be useful:

https://iapp.org/news/a/eu-gdpr-applicability-to-international-organizations/

At the Global Fund we’ve implemented GDPR on our website in the stricter sense because I believe it is the right thing to do, and also because it is important to provide the option of not-tracking to visitors. Visitors should own the data and be aware of how it will be used. It is also important not to force them to accept cookies, or make it complicated. Anyone can browse the website without any hindrance if they don’t accept cookies.

GDPR compliance has also been expanded to other platforms and we’ve had numerous deletion requests already. These requests were processed in compliance with GDPR.

My own opinion is that IOs already enjoy a lot of privileges and should be an example of protecting personal data, something many companies abuse.

Merci!
Genc

Genc Kastrati

Lead, Web Team

Web Team

Communications Department

External Relations and Communications

M: +41794683971 (no sms or WhatsApp)

T: +41587911540

genc.k...@theglobalfund.org

theglobalfund.org

Aug 3, 2022, 12:52:08 PM8/3/22
to Genc Kastrati, Alex Faundez, Geneva Web Group
Hi Genc:

My understanding is that it is not applicable to the UN.

"The European Data Protection Board recognises that the GDPR is not applicable to UN-System organizations, and that the application of the GDPR to private entities providing services to international organizations may require some adjustments."

All the best

Andy

Dominique Chantrel

Aug 3, 2022, 12:52:08 PM8/3/22
to Alex Faundez, Geneva Web Group
Alex,

Comme d'habitude, on est United Nations supranational donc pas soumis
à cela (sauf si on le veut).
Mais pour une bonne pratique, je te conseille de l'être.

En tout cas c'est ce qu'on essaye de faire à TRAINFORTRADE
(tft.unctad.org). Mais je ne pense pas que tu trouveras un texte dans
ce sens.

Dom .-)

Peter Hall-Jones

Aug 4, 2022, 1:36:36 AM8/4/22
to Alex Faundez, Geneva Web Group
Same question!

The law seems really unclear. Does the nation where the website is hosted make a difference? Or is it based on the nation where the organisation is legally based? I note that the WHO website has no homepage message but the ILO one does.

--
The Geneva Web Group is a Community of Practice for Internet professionals. Informal meetings are held in Geneva, Switzerland 3-4 times per year.
---

Peter Hall-Jones
Skype: peter.hall-jones

Genc Kastrati

Aug 4, 2022, 3:49:31 AM8/4/22
to Andy Pattison, Alex Faundez, Geneva Web Group, Genc Kastrati

Thank you Andy,

That letter was quite a fun read 😊 I admit it was very difficult to understand it. Regarding the quote you included, I did not see it in the document (failed to find it elsewhere), would you have the source please? Am asking because in the EDPB link it states the following:

“In its guidance1, the European Data Protection Board has also clarified that the application of the GDPR is without prejudice to the provisions of international law, such as the ones governing the privileges and immunities of international organizations. At the same time, this guidance highlights that entities subject to the GDPR that exchange personal data with international organizations have to comply with the GDPR, including its rules on international transfers (Chapter V of the GDPR).”

I believe that the UN system is indeed exempt, also because there are no mechanisms to enforce compliance (EC can’t fine the UN). This might not be the case for all international organizations in Geneva, some of which are Swiss Foundations legally-speaking. In any case, I know this was not the question Alex asked initially, I do believe however that being in clear violation of GDPR and other similar legislation, does carry some reputational risk for orgs/missions/agencies.

Thank you!
Genc

Genc Kastrati

Lead, Web Team

Web Team

Communications Department

External Relations and Communications

M: +41794683971 (no sms or WhatsApp)

T: +41587911540

genc.k...@theglobalfund.org

theglobalfund.org

Alex Faundez

Aug 4, 2022, 3:56:38 AM8/4/22
to Genc Kastrati, Geneva Web Group
Hi All,

Thanks for your input to this tricky discussion. I'm asking specifically about a UN agency (not an international organization as this to me is a broader definition and also includes non-UN entities with different legal status).

Here's an excerpt of a discussion I had with WMO's legal team:

Q: Do you know if GDPR applies to UN websites, and in particular our websites?

Legal: As a general point if the data is collected, stored and processed by us then we are not subject to GDPR. If the data is collected, stored and processed by a third party then these partners may well be subject to the data protection regulations.

Q: Follow-up question: we use Google Analytics, a free Google service to track user behavior on our websites. Our data is “shared” on their platform, but we’re the only ones using it. Does Google qualify as third-party?

Legal: If Google is processing our data then it is subject to GDPR if the processing is based in the EU or the data derives from the EU. The issue here is that the data is not subject to immunity but rather the entity.

I'm not a legal expert, and I was really hoping to find a straightforward answer to be honest :-)

Alex Faundez

Information Architecture, Content Strategy, Content Design
faunde...@gmail.com
Skype: alex.faundez

Anna

Aug 4, 2022, 4:27:06 AM8/4/22
to Geneva Web Group
Hi,

It's a bit of a grey area, you're not really obliged to follow GDPR rules (regardless of hosting country), but it doesn't hurt to do it anyway as best practice. For UN secretariat sites, a link to the Privacy Notice - https://www.un.org/en/about-us/privacy-notice - has to be included in the footer anyway, and should cover your bases if all you're using is Google Analytics. Other agencies seem to do something similar with their own privacy statements. If you're using social media cookies or something else tracking identifiable data, then it's nice to give users the option.

Thanks,
Anna