Re: {GWG: 2420} Cool tools for searching / analyzing the social web

David Ott

Jun 6, 2013, 6:25:28 AM6/6/13
to geneva-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

Thanks for starting this thread. I'd like to add the following 2 services which I recently discovered:

Mention (mention.net) a online service, a chrome app, and mobile apps. Marketed as a "follow your brand tool" works also extremely well to follow other people's brands ;) and any other topic.

Faveeo (faveeo.com) a news discovery system, with community component. Very nicely and efficiently exploits semantic "computing" (for lack of a better term) to propose new terms for your "media monitoring"... actually very interesting to see the semantic engine working (Note: semantic inspired tools clearly add value when they works like this, suggesting relevant stuff and increasing your awareness of options you have). It is interesting for us that the Faveeo team seems (and acts) very interested to develop the NGO / humanitarian organizations' needs. Available from the "cloud" or hosted in your farm.

That's it for now.

David

On Jun 06, 2013, at 10:42 AM, Rick El-Darwish <redpa...@stnoble.com> wrote:

Hello all,

  I've been seeing quite a bit of talk about socnets in this group, figured I'd share a couple of tools I find rather practical. I'm not affiliated with / sponsored by any of these - just figured I'd spread the word, hope it helps someone out there.

  Topsy

  Topsy (http://www.topsy.com) is a search engine designed to crawl through social networks out there. I've found it useful when I've clearly been missing out on some important news, want to find out what people thing about a certain product or service or company. It's got some analytics built in, which used to be free until recently - for instance, you could compare the popularity of Android versus iOS versus BB before you went out to buy your next phone.

  HootSuite

  You probably all know about this one, but I figured I'd put it out there. One thing I really like about HootSuite (http://www.hootsuite.com) is the scheduling feature. You can either let HS determine when to put up your posts so that you can maximize on their likelihood of being read, or you can set specific dates and times for your posts. Nifty. Also if you're working as a team, you can 'assign' posts to other team members for retweeting or commenting. Not a great way to read your posts, though.

  Paper.li

  Anybody who follows more than a dozen people will tell you it's hard to keep up with your feeds. I found that paper.li (http://paper.li) was handy in at least partially addressing this frustration. It attaches to your twitter account and sends you a daily 'paper' with popular tweets of people you follow. You can also add other feeds to your paper and prioritize the news, even add articles you've found online to your paper -- which would be strange, if it weren't that other people can also subscribe to your paper. In other words, not only is it practical to you for keeping up with your feeds, but it also serves as a newsletter of sorts.

  RoundTeam (http://www.roundteam.co)

  I'm not 100% sold on this one, but I'm experimenting with this one. This free service allows you to retweet specific conversations from your followers based on certain criteria. At the most basic level, it allows you to retweet tweets in which you are mentioned; but you can go further than that - if, for instance, you're a PHP developer and you want to position yourself as such, you might want to retweet anything with the #PHP hashtag; this service makes it possible.

If anyone's got any more cool tools, I for one would love to hear about them!

--
The Geneva Web Group is a Community of Practice for Internet professionals. Informal meetings are held in Geneva, Switzerland 3-4 times per year.
---

Fernando Zarur

Jun 7, 2013, 8:38:01 AM6/7/13
to geneva-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick, nice list.

Just to add another interesting name (and I'm also not affiliated it!): sproutsocial.com. I have recently stopped using HootSuite in favor of Sprout and am very happy. Reporting and publishing is muuuuch better, specially if you are using it for FB, LinkedIn, Google+ etc.

Fernando

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 10:42 AM, Rick El-Darwish <redpa...@stnoble.com> wrote:
[...]

Find me:  LinkedIn  Flickr  Twitter

Vincent

Jun 11, 2013, 3:14:54 PM6/11/13
to geneva-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

Nice list...

I agree about Topsy and Mention.

We just purchased a short term access to Topsy Pro and the data available is pretty complete. You can even access Tweets back to 2009. The analytics dashboard and algorithms used to see who are influencers and sentiments of tweets is an interesting complement. And of course all your queries can be backed up through export into a CSV. The only thing is it's a bit expensive. The free version is still good as long as you keep an eye on things over a month period. After that, you start losing access to data. Also test out http://analytics.topsy.com/ which does an interesting comparison of 3 keywords.

I'm going to have a look at sprout social too!

Cheers,
Vincent

Rick El-Darwish

Jun 13, 2013, 8:00:06 AM6/13/13
to geneva-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fernando,

  That does look super interesting! Admittedly, one thing I'm not super enthusiastic about with Hootsuite is the format for reading news from my accounts - I find it clunky.
Ricardo El-Darwish
Chief Technical Officer
St. Noble Company
web:    http://www.stnoble.com
e-mail: ri...@stnoble.com

Rick El-Darwish

Jun 13, 2013, 8:10:37 AM6/13/13
to geneva-web-group
Thanks for this David - I'll have to check those out!