Allow non-subscribers to post or move generic-abi to another place

Fangrui Song

Apr 20, 2020, 3:16:06 PM4/20/20
to Generic System V Application Binary Interface
Two weeks ago after I had made a reply to this list from a non-subscribed email address, I received:

Mail Delivery Subsystem <mailer...@googlemail.com>
Mon, Apr 6, 7:51 PM
to me

Hello .......,

We're writing to let you know that the group you tried to contact
(generic-abi) may not exist, or you may not have permission to post
messages to the group. A few more details on why you weren't able to
post:

* You might have spelled or formatted the group name incorrectly.
* * The owner of the group may have removed this group.
* * You may need to join the group before receiving permission to
* post.
* * This group may not be open to posting.
*
* If you have questions related to this or any other Google Group,
* visit the Help Center at https://groups.google.com/support/.
*
* Thanks,
*
* Google Groups

Can the administrator remove this restriction?

I also remember that sometimes the URLs can be different for different
logins. I ran into this problem again today (https://reviews.llvm.org/D78438)
when a reviewer mentioned that my pasted link does not work in his browser....
It is also a pain for me to get a stable URI for a particular discussion..

If we can't remove this restriction, shall we move the list to another
place, e.g. openwall.com, sourceware.org, etc.

Fangrui Song

Apr 20, 2020, 3:22:18 PM4/20/20
to Generic System V Application Binary Interface
OK, I suspect a non-gmail email address cannot subscribe the list at all.

I clicked "Apply to join group" but there is no option for me to choose another email address.

This may be a pretty sufficient reason that we should move as this potentially excludes a lot of people from the discussion
(just noticed that Rich Felker @ musl complained...)

Mats Wichmann

Apr 20, 2020, 3:41:18 PM4/20/20
to gener...@googlegroups.com
On 4/20/20 1:22 PM, 'Fangrui Song' via Generic System V Application
Binary Interface wrote:

> OK, I suspect a non-gmail email address cannot subscribe the list at all.

I've been attached to it for ages without a gmail address.

I suppose that doesn't "prove" anything, as the interface may have
changed in the many intervening years.

Ali Bahrami

Apr 20, 2020, 3:54:44 PM4/20/20
to gener...@googlegroups.com
Same here (see the 'From' line for this message). I've also been
subscribed this way for years though.

Yesterday, I was able to refer to a 15 year old thread from this
list, with all of the participants comments still intact and
able to be seen. While that was never promised, and while there
are reasons not to assume it will remain even with Google,
I'm not in a hurry to move.

I think blocking non-members from posting here is a feature,
not a bug. The lack of spam and other noise is a wonderful
thing. I certainly want it to be easy for members though.

- Ali

H.J. Lu

Apr 20, 2020, 4:16:44 PM4/20/20
On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 12:54 PM Ali Bahrami <Ali.B...@oracle.com> wrote:

> On 4/20/20 1:41 PM, Mats Wichmann wrote:
> > On 4/20/20 1:22 PM, 'Fangrui Song' via Generic System V Application
> > Binary Interface wrote:
> >
> >> OK, I suspect a non-gmail email address cannot subscribe the list at all.
> >
> > I've been attached to it for ages without a gmail address.
> >
> > I suppose that doesn't "prove" anything, as the interface may have
> > changed in the many intervening years.
> >

> Same here (see the 'From' line for this message). I've also been
> subscribed this way for years though.

gmail.com address is NOT required.

> Yesterday, I was able to refer to a 15 year old thread from this
> list, with all of the participants comments still intact and
> able to be seen. While that was never promised, and while there
> are reasons not to assume it will remain even with Google,
> I'm not in a hurry to move.
>
> I think blocking non-members from posting here is a feature,
> not a bug. The lack of spam and other noise is a wonderful

Agreed.

> thing. I certainly want it to be easy for members though.
>
> - Ali

I may have been slow sometimes to moderate the list. Would someone
volunteer to joint me to manage the list?

Thanks.

--
H.J.

Rafael Avila de Espindola

Apr 20, 2020, 4:35:11 PM4/20/20
<gener...@googlegroups.com> writes:

>>I also remember that sometimes the URLs can be different for different
>>logins. I ran into this problem again today (https://reviews.llvm.org/D78438)
>>when a reviewer mentioned that my pasted link does not work in his browser....
>>It is also a pain for me to get a stable URI for a particular discussion..
>>

>>If we can't remove this restriction, shall we move the list to another
>>place, e.g. openwall.com, sourceware.org, etc.
>
> OK, I suspect a non-gmail email address cannot subscribe the list at all.

I think you can. Try sending an email to generic-ab...@googlegroups.com

Cheers,
Rafael

Fangrui Song

Apr 21, 2020, 12:41:48 AM4/21/20
to Generic System V Application Binary Interface
I did not receive any email after my own posts, until I found there are actually replies and realized that I was "unsubscribed" though I don't think I have clicked any "unsubscribe" button.

The page shows "Join request sent". Hope an administrator can add me back.

Michael Matz

Apr 21, 2020, 3:58:44 PM4/21/20
to Generic System V Application Binary Interface
Hi,

On Mon, 20 Apr 2020, H.J. Lu wrote:

> I may have been slow sometimes to moderate the list. Would someone
> volunteer to joint me to manage the list?

We're in different time zones, so: "here" :-)

Ciao,
Michael.

H.J. Lu

Apr 21, 2020, 4:12:02 PM4/21/20
to Generic System V Application Binary Interface
Hi Michael,

When I tried to change your role to manager, I got

---
Only users with Google accounts can be managers. Please try again, and
select only users with Google accounts.
---

--
H.J.

Cary Coutant

Apr 21, 2020, 4:28:01 PM4/21/20
to Generic System V Application Binary Interface
> > > I may have been slow sometimes to moderate the list. Would someone
> > > volunteer to joint me to manage the list?
> >
> > We're in different time zones, so: "here" :-)
> >

> Hi Michael,
>
> When I tried to change your role to manager, I got
>
> ---
> Only users with Google accounts can be managers. Please try again, and
> select only users with Google accounts.

I'll volunteer.

-cary