Ongoing Maintenance of the gABI

Cary Coutant

Apr 6, 2020, 3:09:33 PM4/6/20
to Generic System V Application Binary Interface, Michael Brinke-Engel
I am pleased to announce that I have reached a preliminary agreement
with Michael Brinke-Engel and Xinuos that will allow me to take on the
maintenance of the gABI spec on their behalf, and also of the registry
of e_machine and EI_OSABI values.

I will convert the docs from HTML to Markdown format, and move them
into a GitHub project. I will also set up an issue tracker and update
the specifications to incorporate proposed changes that have achieved
a consensus here but not yet made their way into the spec (e.g.,
SHT_RELA dynamic relocations).

I also intend to make some editorial changes to fit the gABI into a
more general framework, make it easier to read, and resolve some
ambiguities that have been raised regarding the ELF spec.

My plan is to continue to use this mailing list for general discussion
and to continue to evolve the gABI spec. It's a great community here,
and I hope that we can continue to make changes via consensus rather
than a more formal mechanism.

My thanks to Michael for getting this done!

-cary

Ali Bahrami

Apr 6, 2020, 3:23:41 PM4/6/20
to gener...@googlegroups.com
On 4/6/20 1:09 PM, Cary Coutant wrote:
> My thanks to Michael for getting this done!

Many thanks to both of you, and to Xinous, for
persevering and getting it done!

Whooo!

- Ali

Carlos O'Donell

Apr 6, 2020, 4:27:09 PM4/6/20
to gener...@googlegroups.com, Cary Coutant, Michael Brinke-Engel
On 4/6/20 3:09 PM, Cary Coutant wrote:
> I am pleased to announce that I have reached a preliminary agreement
> with Michael Brinke-Engel and Xinuos that will allow me to take on the
> maintenance of the gABI spec on their behalf, and also of the registry
> of e_machine and EI_OSABI values.

Awesome news!

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

Suprateeka R Hegde

Apr 6, 2020, 9:48:53 PM4/6/20
On 07-Apr-2020 12:39 am, Cary Coutant wrote:
> I am pleased to announce that I have reached a preliminary agreement
> with Michael Brinke-Engel and Xinuos that will allow me to take on the
> maintenance of the gABI spec on their behalf, and also of the registry
> of e_machine and EI_OSABI values.

Splendid!

> My thanks to Michael for getting this done!

A lot of thanks to you both and Xinuos. Indeed, a very good news for all
the ELFies !

--
Supra

Michael Matz

Apr 7, 2020, 11:48:25 AM4/7/20
to Generic System V Application Binary Interface, Michael Brinke-Engel
Hello,

On Mon, 6 Apr 2020, Cary Coutant wrote:

> I am pleased to announce that I have reached a preliminary agreement
> with Michael Brinke-Engel and Xinuos that will allow me to take on the
> maintenance of the gABI spec on their behalf, and also of the registry
> of e_machine and EI_OSABI values.

\o/ Yippie!

Many thanks to you and Xinuos to make it happen.

Ciao,
Michael.

Ramana Radhakrishnan

Apr 7, 2020, 11:50:36 AM4/7/20
to gener...@googlegroups.com, Cary Coutant, Michael Brinke-Engel
ELFies ... elves ...  :P

Ramana (the spelling geek)

--
Supra

Suprateeka R Hegde

Apr 7, 2020, 1:24:51 PM4/7/20
to gener...@googlegroups.com, Ramana Radhakrishnan, Cary Coutant, Michael Brinke-Engel
On 07-Apr-2020 09:20 pm, Ramana Radhakrishnan wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 2:48 AM Suprateeka R Hegde
> <hegdes...@gmail.com <mailto:hegdes...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> On 07-Apr-2020 12:39 am, Cary Coutant wrote:
> > I am pleased to announce that I have reached a preliminary agreement
> > with Michael Brinke-Engel and Xinuos that will allow me to take on the
> > maintenance of the gABI spec on their behalf, and also of the registry
> > of e_machine and EI_OSABI values.
>
> Splendid!
>
> > My thanks to Michael for getting this done!
>
> A lot of thanks to you both and Xinuos. Indeed, a very good news for all
> the ELFies !
>

> ELFies ... elves ...  :P
>
> Ramana (the spelling geek)

Ah! Okay. I meant ELFies (as in in TECHies) to refer to those who work
on ELF. Or are they called Elves? Interesting.

--
Supra

Mark Wielaard

Apr 8, 2020, 7:15:06 AM4/8/20
On Mon, 2020-04-06 at 12:09 -0700, Cary Coutant wrote:
> I am pleased to announce that I have reached a preliminary agreement
> with Michael Brinke-Engel and Xinuos that will allow me to take on the
> maintenance of the gABI spec on their behalf, and also of the registry
> of e_machine and EI_OSABI values.

That is great news.

Will the gABI spec itself be redistributable now? One issue has been
that the copyright license has been somewhat unclear and people have
been rewriting bits and pieces themselves just to be sure they could
publish their own psABI documents. Having the gABI spec itself under
the GFDL would be immensely helpful.

Thanks,

Mark

Florian Weimer

Apr 8, 2020, 7:34:34 AM4/8/20
to Mark Wielaard, gener...@googlegroups.com, Cary Coutant, Michael Brinke-Engel
* Mark Wielaard:

> On Mon, 2020-04-06 at 12:09 -0700, Cary Coutant wrote:
>> I am pleased to announce that I have reached a preliminary agreement
>> with Michael Brinke-Engel and Xinuos that will allow me to take on the
>> maintenance of the gABI spec on their behalf, and also of the registry
>> of e_machine and EI_OSABI values.
>
> That is great news.

Indeed.

> Will the gABI spec itself be redistributable now? One issue has been
> that the copyright license has been somewhat unclear and people have
> been rewriting bits and pieces themselves just to be sure they could
> publish their own psABI documents. Having the gABI spec itself under
> the GFDL would be immensely helpful.

I do not have a strong option to the GFDL as such. It would be most
convenient if there were no Invariant Sections and other unchangeable
parts.

However, if we plan to maintain a copy of <elf.h> in the same
repository, it should (as code) definitely not be licensed under the
GFDL.

Thanks,
Florian