Return character in python files

Carl Malartre

Nov 2, 2010, 9:56:19 AM11/2/10
to general-...@googlegroups.com
Hi! The Python section looks nice!

Only one problem: the return character is Unix style and I guess a lot of windows users will see a big notepad file like this:

Weird under Notepad:

Works well under Wordpad:

Carl

Jennifer Newell

Nov 2, 2010, 5:12:33 PM11/2/10
to general-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for pointing out the issue with Unix style return characters in Notepad. Due to OS file format differences, some text editors may not display the source appropriately, however the Python IDLE interpreter will be able to handle all of the programs included in the CT lessons. The Introduction to Python lesson is now updated to reflect this.

It’s good to know that the code displays correctly in Wordpad as well, and that Notepad should be avoided with our .py files.

Best,
Jennifer

davi...@googlemail.com

Sep 25, 2011, 12:30:41 PM9/25/11
to general-...@googlegroups.com
I'd recommend installing Programmer's Notepad, which is a free source code editor which will read the .PY files fine, regardless of the line ending used.