FCS to CSV

Joan Slonczewski

Aug 10, 2022, 9:42:19 PM8/10/22
to GenePattern Help Forum
I tried converting an FCS file to CSV using your module.
It worked the first time (yesterday) but then did not work again today.
How might this be fixed?

Joan L. Slonczewski (they/them/theirs)
Professor of Biology
202 N. College Road
Kenyon College
Gambier, OH 43022
http://biology.kenyon.edu/slonc/slonc.htm
slonc...@kenyon.edu
Phone: 740-427-5397
Text: 740-504-2215

Ted Liefeld

Aug 11, 2022, 2:29:07 PM8/11/22
to GenePattern Help Forum
Hi,

can you give us the job numbers for both Jobs and we will take a look at what happened.

Thanks

Ted

Joan Slonczewski

Aug 11, 2022, 2:34:27 PM8/11/22
to genepatt...@googlegroups.com
The job that worked was 455591.
Then I tried three times on a different file, jobs 456017, 456018, 456021. They did not work.

Ted Liefeld

Aug 11, 2022, 3:20:13 PM8/11/22
to GenePattern Help Forum
Hi

the problem appears to be the double spaces between the "Ph" and the "f" right at the start of the input filename,  and the logic that uses the base of the input filename for the output files is not working properly for that.

There are two quick workarounds;
1. Edit the input file name to remove the double spaces (ideally all spaces to be safe) and then re-run.
or
2. Change the value for the parameters "Output CSV file name" and "Output keyword file name" to not use the <Input.FCS.data.file_basename> placeholder.

Please let me know if this works for you

Ted

Joan Slonczewski

Aug 11, 2022, 4:08:14 PM8/11/22
to genepatt...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Ted, changing the filename worked.
May I ask briefly what does it mean "convert channel to scale"?  I just want to be sure we are using the correct selection.
Joan

Ted Liefeld

Aug 12, 2022, 1:40:27 PM8/12/22
to GenePattern Help Forum
Joan,

The module doc says:
===============
Specify whether to convert log channel values to linear scale or not:
              • true=convert channel to linear scale  (default)
               • no=no conversion, store same as in the FCS file
===============

I am afraid that since the modules were developed at the BC Cancer Research Center we don't have anyone on the team that can answer with any more detail.  The author of the module is listed in the doc as Josef Spidlen (jspi...@bccrc.ca) so you could try contacting him.

Hope this helps

Ted

Joan Slonczewski

Aug 12, 2022, 1:44:20 PM8/12/22
to genepatt...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Ted. The files do look correct, consistent with the BD software. I really appreciate your help.
Joan

Ted Liefeld

Aug 12, 2022, 1:47:39 PM8/12/22
to genepatt...@googlegroups.com
I am glad that things are working for you now.  Let us know if you have any other questions

Ted

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GenePattern Help Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/genepattern-help/CAAzKrdJ2LoMME2kHx3BJKQpAHxQ1jbfm5nqyU2zMLieBc-7c0A%40mail.gmail.com.

--
Ted Liefeld                                      UC San Diego
Mesirov Lab                                    lie...@ucsd.edu