Recent changes to the website.

Quaid Morris

Oct 5, 2010, 5:39:11 PM10/5/10
to genemania-announce
We’ve released a new version of the GeneMANIA website.

GeneMANIA now has a new way of laying out networks that we hope improves the interpretability of the network results.  Please let us know your feedback on this change.

We no longer consider co-expression and co-localization networks when we do the layout.  We were finding that often there was a lot of these types of interactions among genes returned by GeneMANIA and that by ignoring them, we would get more informative layouts.  We’ve also selected colours to de-emphasize these links, although they are still visible.  Right now, GeneMANIA only uses these interactions for layout when there are no other types of interactions in the displayed network. We’ve also started using a layout algorithm that considers the weight of each interaction, instead of treating every interaction the same.

Other changes:
- We’ve added a link to the OpenHelix video tutorial on GeneMANIA
- Users can now grab-to-pan when pressing and holding left-mouse button
- We’ve made some back-end changes to make the website load more quickly and we are still working on these - watch for speed improvements in future versions.
- We’ve also made a few subtle improvements in how we define networks of shared domains, so you may notice a few differences.

--
Quaid Morris, PhD
Assistant Professor