Error Message Could not read the file. Make sure its format is correct

Ron Barnes

Dec 2, 2013, 1:20:20 PM12/2/13
to genea...@googlegroups.com
I am trying to load one of your files. I chose "Chaune" because it appears to be the smallest file. I tried both the gedcom and the lyr files. both give me the same error message overlaid with a Loading file... box, nothig else happens.

I am using Ubuntu 12.04    I am executing from a terminal because when I try to execute the jar file I get an error from Ubuntu saying that the execute permission bit is not set. I have gone to preferences and checked the make this file executable box, but still get the same message.

Using a terminal the screen comes up but I get the error message. Here is what appears in the terminal:

private:/$ java -jar /media/40gigData/geneaquilt-1.0.4/geneaquilt-1.0.4.jar
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /media/40gigdata/geneaquilt-1.0.4/data/chaune.lyr (No such file or directory)
    at geneaquilt.io.GEDReader.load(GEDReader.java:59)
    at geneaquilt.GeneaQuilt.load(GeneaQuilt.java:445)
    at geneaquilt.GeneaQuilt.access$3(GeneaQuilt.java:430)
    at geneaquilt.GeneaQuilt$17.run(GeneaQuilt.java:393)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:701)
2013-12-02 10:58:34,276 [Thread-1] ERROR geneaquilt.GeneaQuilt - Couldn't read the network

Ron

Jean-Daniel Fekete

Dec 2, 2013, 2:51:23 PM12/2/13
to genea...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You need to install the graphviz package first, it is required for
geneaquilt.

Best,
Jean-Daniel
> --

Jean-Daniel Fekete Jean-Dani...@inria.fr
AVIZ Team Leader, INRIA www.aviz.fr
INRIA Saclay - �le-de-France www.aviz.fr/~fekete
Bat 650, Universit� Paris-Sud tel: +33 1 74854297
F91405 ORSAY Cedex, France fax: +33 1 69154240

Ron Barnes

Dec 2, 2013, 5:44:41 PM12/2/13
to genea...@googlegroups.com
Jean-Daniel,

Thank you for your reply, but:

I was quit certain that graphviz was already installed on the system. It was. However, I used synaptic to remove and reinstall graphviz. I then tried running geneaquilts again and got the same results. Keep in mind I am using data from your data file not creating my own. Do you have any other suggestions.

Ron
 INRIA Saclay - �le-de-France    www.aviz.fr/~fekete
 Bat 650, Universit� Paris-Sud   tel: +33 1 74854297

Jean-Daniel Fekete

Dec 3, 2013, 4:47:42 AM12/3/13
to Ron Barnes, genea...@googlegroups.com
Is your file-system writable?
It should load it with the .ged file.

I had a problem recently, I'll check and make a new version, I think I
fixed it.

Jean-Daniel