Display Surnames?

Ron Doctor

Dec 4, 2010, 12:17:56 AM12/4/10
to Geneaquilts
I have followed all installation directions and imported a subset of
my ged. GeneaQuilts displays everything correctly ... except there is
no display of surnames in the visualization window. This creates a
visualization/relationship problem as I move down the tree and
encounter very long lists of descendants in each generation.

Is there a way to include surnames in the visualization window?

Ron Doctor
Portland, Oregon USA

Jean-Daniel Fekete

Dec 5, 2010, 4:12:42 AM12/5/10
to genea...@googlegroups.com, rdd...@gmail.com
Dear Ron,

I suppose the lack of surname comes from the export format that you are
using.
Geneaquilt is not very flexible about showing one name or the other. The
same for font sizes etc. Keep in mind that it is a Research prototype
and that it implements novel features while the "standard" not
innovative ones may be missing, even though we acknowledge they are very
useful and sometimes necessary.

But if we spend weeks implementing font sizes, flexible name formats,
printing, loading various variants of the GEDCOM format etc, we don't do
research. So, as much as we are trying to improve geneaquilt, we cannot
commit to add all the features and, for the ones we plan to implement,
we cannot set a date.
Sorry for that.

However, we'd be very happy if a commercial company decided to provide
a product inspired from geneaquilt.

Jean-Daniel Fekete.

Le 12/4/2010 05:17, Ron Doctor a �crit :

--
Jean-Daniel Fekete Jean-Dani...@inria.fr
AVIZ Team Leader, INRIA www.aviz.fr

LHH

Dec 5, 2010, 9:25:05 AM12/5/10
to Geneaquilts
I have also noted the lack of surnames appearing in some imports. I
also thought the problem was have the GEDCOM was created. But when I
tried the Mason GED that is included with the download of the program,
I noticed the lack of most of the surnames in it.

You stress that Geneaquilt is "a Research prototype". With only names
being part of the display, I cannot imaginae a greater need than for
the _full_ name to be given in the display.

The GEDCOM "Standard" provides two methoods for include names. You
apparently are only recognizing the one method in which each detailed
name structure is given rather than the Name_Personal method. The
second gives the person's name as usually given with the surname
delimitewd by slashes.

LHH

On Dec 5, 4:12 am, Jean-Daniel Fekete <Jean-Daniel.Fek...@inria.fr>

Jean-Daniel Fekete

Dec 6, 2010, 4:46:02 PM12/6/10
to genea...@googlegroups.com, lhof...@acm.org
Actually, I recognize all the names (they are shown in the attribute
windows) but show them in some order:
If surname exists, use it.
else if given name exists, use it
else use personal name

In some ged files, given or surname are defined but not informative.

I have added GeneaQuilt to specify the field to use as label. It is
coming in the next release soon now.

Jean-Daniel

Le 12/5/2010 14:25, LHH a �crit :