How to install GeneaQuilts (Windows)

Ian Scales

Nov 29, 2016, 12:50:31 AM11/29/16
to Geneaquilts
GeneaQuilts is a really, really, great visualization tool for genealogical datasets, but the install instructions are hopeless.

The developers appear to be from some kind of academic institute, where they have IT staff  to do all the installation. So the developers probably don't know much about how to install it either. That's my theory for why the documentation is hopeless.

Somebody else got on this Google group asked about installation and never got a reply - and that was four years ago.  I struggled with it, and do have it running. For what it's worth, I have a solution. Not elegant, but it works.
Note that in future years the filenames and directory names might change to reflect later version numbers of the apps mentioned below.

1. Download the geneaquilt-1.0.12-bin.zip file from http://www.aviz.fr/geneaquilts
2. unzip it somewhere - maybe in your Documents library somewhere.
3. With a browser that lets you (e.g. Firefox), download and install Java from https://www.java.com/en/download/  ***even if you think you've already got it***
4. Download graphviz-2.38.msi from http://www.graphviz.org/Download_windows.php
5. Run the Graphviz msi installer. Let it install where it wants to, i.e. into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Graphviz2.38"
6. From wherever you unzipped the geneaquilt package, copy these two files: geneaquilt-1.0.12.jar and run.bat across into the directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Graphviz2.38\bin\geneaquilt-1.0.12"
7. Also copy the "data" directory from the geneaquilt folder into the same Graphviz "bin" folder.
8. If you have your own Gedcom file that you want to visualise, copy it into this same "data" folder. (If you want to create a Gedcom file, use family tree software for that; Geneaquilts is a visualiser, not an editor).
9. To run Geneaquilts, double-click the run.bat file. If nothing happens, read all of step 3 again.

Ok - that should work. Obviously it's a pain having to navigate all the way into the program files\ graphviz \bin file every time you want to change the gedcom file. Someone out there will know a better way to get it running, by somehow creating a path to graphviz from a gedcom file written in your documents library, where ideally it would be. But nobody ever replies here, so that will never happen.

Have a nice day, whoever the one and only person is who ever stumbles across this, six years after I wrote it.

Ian :)

Donald Moore

Nov 29, 2016, 8:36:03 AM11/29/16
to Geneaquilts
Maybe I'm the one and only person. I've always been fascinated with Geneaquilts. Actually got it running once on my Mac. Any other Mac users out there?

Jean-Daniel Fekete

Nov 30, 2016, 10:40:07 AM11/30/16
to genea...@googlegroups.com

Geneaquilt has been integrated in the "Puck" system for analysis of kinship.

Puck is distributed with an installer that simplifies the installation on PC and Mac. Check it out:

http://www.kintip.net/

--
 Jean-Daniel Fekete      Jean-Dani...@inria.fr
 AVIZ Team Leader, INRIA                 www.aviz.fr

Ian Scales

Dec 8, 2016, 12:16:42 AM12/8/16
to Geneaquilts
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 02:40:07 UTC+11, jdf wrote:

Geneaquilt has been integrated in the "Puck" system for analysis of kinship.

Puck is distributed with an installer that simplifies the installation on PC and Mac. Check it out:

http://www.kintip.net/

That sounds good, but unfortunately the Puck Installer 1.0.8 on my Windows 10 system logs this:

Install starting

Creation of the install directory.......DONE
Downloading the JRE zip file............DONE
Unziping the JRE zip file...............DONE
Removing JRE zip file...................DONE
Downloading the Puck zip file...........DONE
Unziping the Puck zip file..............Sorry, error detected. Task stopped.
Error while expanding C:\Users\iansc\PuckBin\puck-2.3.15.zip
java
.util.zip.ZipException: archive is not a ZIP archive