Re: Meaning of error message

Jean-Daniel Fekete

Dec 5, 2010, 4:01:33 AM12/5/10
to Claire Bettag, genea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Claire,

I am not sure what happens on a Mac when you install a program.
I hope Mac aware people will be able to help.

Jean-Daniel

Le 12/4/2010 21:38, Claire Bettag a �crit :

--
Jean-Daniel Fekete Jean-Dani...@inria.fr
AVIZ Team Leader, INRIA www.aviz.fr

Anastasia Bezerianos

Dec 6, 2010, 2:36:23 AM12/6/10
to Jean-Daniel Fekete, Claire Bettag, genea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Claire,
this sounds like you don't have GraphViz installed (it includes the
dot program).

I guess that before this GEDCOM file you have been using the examples
provided with the program, right? When a new file is loaded
geneaquilts attempts to generate the layers for the new genealogy. To
do this, it needs access to the dot library provided in the GraphViz
program. You can find a link in the geneaquilts website to the
GraphViz project so you can download it and install it on your mac.

let us know if the problem persists,
Anastasia

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Jean-Daniel Fekete
<Jean-Dani...@inria.fr> wrote:
> Hi Claire,
>
> I am not sure what happens on a Mac when you install a program.
> I hope Mac aware people will be able to help.
>
> Jean-Daniel
>

> Le 12/4/2010 21:38, Claire Bettag a écrit :
>> Hi, again,
>> I've been playing with the program (fabulous). But when I upload a new GEDCOM file, I got this message (see below). Can you tell me what it means and what to do about it?
>>

>> GraphViz is definitely installed. How do I find out if the "dot executable is accessible"? When I go to the Applications folder and click on geneaquilt 1.0.2, here is what displays:
>>

>> I don't see a "dot execitable" listed. But what does that mean?
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Claire
>>
>> Claire Bettag
>> 1685 34th Street NW
>> Washington, DC 20007
>> 202-625-2598
>> cell: 202-436-2121
>>

> --
>  Jean-Daniel Fekete      Jean-Dani...@inria.fr
>  AVIZ Team Leader, INRIA                 www.aviz.fr

>  INRIA Saclay - Īle-de-France    www.aviz.fr/~fekete
>  Bat 490, Université Paris-Sud   tel: +33 1 69156494

>  F91405 ORSAY Cedex, France      fax: +33 1 69154240

--
anastasia bezerianos
MAS laboratory - École Centrale Paris
Bat. Dumas, office C414
Grande Voie des Vignes
F-92 295 CHÂTENAY-MALABRY
anastasia....@ecp.fr - http://perso.ecp.fr/~bezeriana/
+33 1 41 13 15 79

Jean-Daniel Fekete

Dec 8, 2010, 2:55:21 PM12/8/10
to Claire Bettag, genea...@googlegroups.com
Dear Claire,

I am happy it worked in the end but there should be a simpler way of
installing GraphViz that works with GeneaQuilt.
I've copied this email to the mailing list so that others having the
same problem can find a solution.

BTW, I'll be in DC tomorrow, if the snow permits.

Jean-Daniel

--
Jean-Daniel Fekete Jean-Dani...@inria.fr
AVIZ Team Leader, INRIA www.aviz.fr

INRIA Saclay - Île-de-France www.aviz.fr/~fekete

Pierre Dragicevic

Dec 8, 2010, 3:06:00 PM12/8/10
to Jean-Daniel Fekete, Claire Bettag, genea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Claire for your tip. We'll try to find a more convenient way to
have GeneaQuilts use GraphViz on Mac OS.

Windows users you don't have to go through this. Simply install
GraphViz in the default program folder and it should work.

Pierre