Importing a GEDCOM

LHH

Nov 20, 2010, 8:14:26 PM11/20/10
to Geneaquilts
I just downloaded the program and wanted to see data with whivh I am
familiar. I tried importing a GEDCOM from another program and
Geneaquilt just ended. I can import the GEDCOM files in the Data
folder without any problem. I have tried reducing the size of the
GECOM file (fewer persons), but that does not seem to help. I have
compared the example GEDCOM files with my GEDCOM files and can see no
real difference -- with both following the GEDCOM specs (mine follow
GEDCOM v5.5 while the examples that I looked at follow v5.0 although I
don't recall that there was much difference).

Any suggestions, or am I working with a demo version of the program?

Jean-Daniel Fekete

Nov 21, 2010, 2:13:24 AM11/21/10
to genea...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Well, I tried to be compatible with Gedcom 5 but I cannot be sure, there
are so many software out there, using variants of Gedcom.
Send me your file or a sample of it and I'll check what happens.

Jean-Daniel

Le 11/21/2010 01:14, LHH a �crit :

--
Jean-Daniel Fekete Jean-Dani...@inria.fr
AVIZ Team Leader, INRIA www.aviz.fr

Paul

Nov 21, 2010, 4:51:34 AM11/21/10
to Geneaquilts
Hi Jean-Daniel,

Spotted the review of your program on the information aesthetics
blog ... Ah hah! Nice!

The graphical concept looks promising for what I am interested in
doing, which is not traditional geneology, but tracking and tracing
accessions of plant material in the context of plant disease testing.

However, I also tried to import a couple of what I understand to be
v5.5. GEDCOM's of a more traditional family tree (my family), which
had been exported from GenoPro - with no success.

The GenaQuilt application just quits - Phhittt! Gone. No error msg.

I also can send the GEDCOM file, if you like.

Paul

On Nov 21, 8:13 pm, Jean-Daniel Fekete <Jean-Daniel.Fek...@inria.fr>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well, I tried to be compatible with Gedcom 5 but I cannot be sure, there
> are so many software out there, using variants of Gedcom.
> Send me your file or a sample of it and I'll check what happens.
>
> Jean-Daniel
>
> Le 11/21/2010 01:14, LHH a crit :
>
> > I just downloaded the program and wanted to see data with whivh I am
> > familiar.  I tried importing a GEDCOM from another program and
> > Geneaquilt just ended.  I can import the GEDCOM files in the Data
> > folder without any problem.  I have tried reducing the size of the
> > GECOM file (fewer persons), but that does not seem to help.  I have
> > compared the example GEDCOM files with my GEDCOM files and can see no
> > real difference -- with both following the GEDCOM specs (mine follow
> > GEDCOM v5.5 while the examples that I looked at follow v5.0 although I
> > don't recall that there was much difference).
>
> > Any suggestions, or am I working with a demo version of the program?
>
> --
>  Jean-Daniel Fekete      Jean-Daniel.Fek...@inria.fr

Jean-Daniel Fekete

Nov 21, 2010, 5:04:38 AM11/21/10
to genea...@googlegroups.com, pre...@gmail.com
Hi Paul,

The latest version of genopro produces incorrect gedcom files.
I know how to fix it but it still needs some work. They badly break the
regular syntax of gedcom.

Jean-Daniel

Le 11/21/2010 09:51, Paul a �crit :

> Hi Jean-Daniel,
>
> Spotted the review of your program on the information aesthetics
> blog ... Ah hah! Nice!
>
> The graphical concept looks promising for what I am interested in
> doing, which is not traditional geneology, but tracking and tracing
> accessions of plant material in the context of plant disease testing.
>
> However, I also tried to import a couple of what I understand to be
> v5.5. GEDCOM's of a more traditional family tree (my family), which
> had been exported from GenoPro - with no success.
>
> The GenaQuilt application just quits - Phhittt! Gone. No error msg.
>

> I also can send the GEDCOM file, if you like.
>

> Paul
>

> On Nov 21, 8:13 pm, Jean-Daniel Fekete <Jean-Daniel.Fek...@inria.fr>
> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> Well, I tried to be compatible with Gedcom 5 but I cannot be sure, there
>> are so many software out there, using variants of Gedcom.
>> Send me your file or a sample of it and I'll check what happens.
>>
>> Jean-Daniel
>>
>> Le 11/21/2010 01:14, LHH a crit :
>>
>>> I just downloaded the program and wanted to see data with whivh I am
>>> familiar. I tried importing a GEDCOM from another program and
>>> Geneaquilt just ended. I can import the GEDCOM files in the Data
>>> folder without any problem. I have tried reducing the size of the
>>> GECOM file (fewer persons), but that does not seem to help. I have
>>> compared the example GEDCOM files with my GEDCOM files and can see no
>>> real difference -- with both following the GEDCOM specs (mine follow
>>> GEDCOM v5.5 while the examples that I looked at follow v5.0 although I
>>> don't recall that there was much difference).
>>> Any suggestions, or am I working with a demo version of the program?
>> --

>> Jean-Daniel Fekete Jean-Daniel.Fek...@inria.fr

LHH

Nov 21, 2010, 8:09:18 AM11/21/10
to Geneaquilts
I have continued to play around with the program and have noted a few
things:
-- On trying to open a GEDCOM file, only the example GEDCOM files
appear in
the OPEN dialog window unless "All Files" is selected.
-- Starting Geneaquilt from an open Command window (allowing the
Command
window to remain open following a program crash) disclosed two error
messages
after the program ended:
-- [main] ERROR Genea

On Nov 21, 2:13 am, Jean-Daniel Fekete <Jean-Daniel.Fek...@inria.fr>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well, I tried to be compatible with Gedcom 5 but I cannot be sure, there
> are so many software out there, using variants of Gedcom.
> Send me your file or a sample of it and I'll check what happens.
>
> Jean-Daniel
>
> Le 11/21/2010 01:14, LHH a crit :
>
> > I just downloaded the program and wanted to see data with whivh I am
> > familiar.  I tried importing a GEDCOM from another program and
> > Geneaquilt just ended.  I can import the GEDCOM files in the Data
> > folder without any problem.  I have tried reducing the size of the
> > GECOM file (fewer persons), but that does not seem to help.  I have
> > compared the example GEDCOM files with my GEDCOM files and can see no
> > real difference -- with both following the GEDCOM specs (mine follow
> > GEDCOM v5.5 while the examples that I looked at follow v5.0 although I
> > don't recall that there was much difference).
>
> > Any suggestions, or am I working with a demo version of the program?
>
> --
>  Jean-Daniel Fekete      Jean-Daniel.Fek...@inria.fr

LHH

Nov 21, 2010, 8:36:31 AM11/21/10
to Geneaquilts
First reply got away from me:

I have continued to play around with the program and have noted a few
things:
  -- On trying to open a GEDCOM file, only the example GEDCOM files
appear in the OPEN dialog window unless "All Files" is selected.
That
is, only the example GEDCOM files (with GED File Extension) in the
Data
directory showed when "Choose a genealogical file" was displayed
although
there were other files (mine) there as well.
  -- Starting Geneaquilt from an open Command window (allowing the
Command window to remain open following a program crash) disclosed
two error messages after the program ended:
  ----- [main] ERROR Geneaquilt.GeneaQuilt - unknown file extension.
----- [main] ERROR Geneaquilt.GeneaQuilt - Coulnd't read the
network

The spelling and capitalization of the above error messages is exactly
as
shown in the Command window.

I have a number of other GEDCOM files (another directory) and those
do
display in the Open dialog window when "Choose a genealogical file"
is
displayed. Some crash the program, but most seem to work.

I'll send a copy of a GEDCOM that I have created.

Thanks

LHH

Jean-Daniel Fekete

Nov 21, 2010, 8:55:26 AM11/21/10
to genea...@googlegroups.com, lhof...@acm.org
I use the extension ".ged" to recognize a gedcom file.
However, I just check for lowercase .ged, not to .GED.
So, as a quick solution, you can rename your file to use .ged lowercase.
I'll fix that in the next version.

Jean-Daniel

Le 11/21/2010 13:36, LHH a �crit :

--
Jean-Daniel Fekete Jean-Dani...@inria.fr

LHH

Nov 21, 2010, 1:42:20 PM11/21/10
to Geneaquilts
OKay, that was the problem. I was able to import a GEDCOM file that
was well over 17,000 persons. Thanks.

On Nov 21, 8:55 am, Jean-Daniel Fekete <Jean-Daniel.Fek...@inria.fr>

Coffer

Nov 27, 2010, 8:53:56 AM11/27/10
to Geneaquilts
Imported a GEDCOM from PAF5.5 with no issues. I did not include any
of the annotation, LDS, or media specific fields in exported GEDCOM
file.

johnct

Nov 30, 2010, 2:20:15 AM11/30/10
to Geneaquilts
I just made several attempts at creating a GEDCOM 5.5 file from Legacy
and opening it with GeneaQuilt. After fixing up a few problems with
invalid date formats, it is still failing and giving the following
error message: "Could not read the file. Make sure its format is
correct"

It also gives me the following log file. Can anyone explain what the
problem is?

"org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Level numbers must increase by 1
at org.lm.gedml.GedcomParser.parse(GedcomParser.java:354)
at org.lm.gedml.GedcomParser.parse(GedcomParser.java:175)
at geneaquilt.io.GEDReader.load(GEDReader.java:71)
at geneaquilt.GeneaQuilt.load(GeneaQuilt.java:378)
at geneaquilt.GeneaQuilt.access$3(GeneaQuilt.java:363)
at geneaquilt.GeneaQuilt$13.run(GeneaQuilt.java:330)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
2010-11-30 18:05:36,062 [Thread-13] ERROR geneaquilt.GeneaQuilt -
Couldn't read the network"

bsl20b50

Nov 30, 2010, 4:39:17 PM11/30/10
to Geneaquilts
I would like to try to open a gedcom with about 230,000 individuals,
but I get an error message that java has run out of memory. Is there a
way to increase this so I can view my large file?

Thanks,
Bryan

Jean-Daniel Fekete

Dec 1, 2010, 7:41:06 AM12/1/10
to genea...@googlegroups.com, johnct...@gmail.com
Hi,

What system are you using?
Various genealogical systems will generate non-standard extensions to
the GEDCOM format that geneaquilt does not handle.
Our system is a research prototype, it is not as robust as commercial
systems, although we are trying to fix the issues reported when we
understand them.

Best regards,
Jean-Daniel

Le 11/30/2010 07:27, johnct a �crit :

Anastasia Bezerianos

Dec 1, 2010, 7:55:20 AM12/1/10
to Bryan Larson, Geneaquilts
Hi Bryan,
this seems like you are not in the directory where the jar file for
geneaquils is actually located. Let me know if the following works:

1. open a cmd and go to the directory where you have downloaded and
unzipped the geneaquilts. The jar file is in this directory. You can
go to this directory by typing in your cmd "cd " and then drag and
drop from your windows explore the directory where geneaquilts is
located. Then press enter.

2. Type "pwd" to see if you are indeed in the geneaquilts directory,
and you can see the contents of the directory by typing "dir". "dir"
will help you see if geneaquilt-1.0.2.jar is in the directory (or a
similar geneaquilt*.jar file)

3. Then type the java command java -Xmx1020 -jar geneaquilt-1.0.2.jar
(or the resepectice genequilt*.jar file you have)

Again, the program is a research prototype and has not been tested
with so many individuals, so good luck!

Hope this helps,
Anastasia

--
anastasia bezerianos
MAS laboratory - École Centrale Paris
Bat. Dumas, office C414
Grande Voie des Vignes
F-92 295 CHÂTENAY-MALABRY
anastasia....@ecp.fr - http://perso.ecp.fr/~bezeriana/
+33 1 41 13 15 79

Anastasia Bezerianos

Dec 1, 2010, 10:53:34 AM12/1/10
to Bryan Larson, Geneaquilts
Hi Bryan,
this looks like a java version error. GeneaQuilts was compiled with
java 1.5 so you may need to update your java version.

regards,
Anastasia

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Bryan Larson <bryans...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anastasia,
> This time I got a little further, but I got a new error. I checked "dir" and
> verified that the geneaquilts jar file is in the proper directory and the
> version number is correct. I also verified the case and spelling. The error
> I got in the command line is the following:
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
> geneaquilt/GeneaQuilt (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)
>      at java.lang.ClassLoader.definClass0(Native Method)
>      at java.lang.ClassLoader.definClass0(Unknown Source)
>      at java.Security.SecureClassLoader.definClass(Unknown Source)
>      at java.net.URLCClassLoader.definClass(Unknown Source)
>      at java.net.URLCClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
>      at java.net.URLCClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
>      at java.Security.AccessController.findClass(Unknown Source)
>      at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>      at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>      at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternational(Unknown Source)

> Thanks,
> Bryan
> Bryan S. Larson
> bryans...@gmail.com
> http://www.ourfamilyhistories.org
>

> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 5:55 AM, Anastasia Bezerianos

johnct

Dec 3, 2010, 12:22:37 AM12/3/10
to Geneaquilts
Hi Jean-Daniel
I followed the advice of Sally on a different thread (Problem with no
dates) to change the output format from GEDCOM 5.5 to Basic and it now
works! Now to work out how to read the quilt! I certainly looks like a
fascinating technique
cheers
John