Generation sort order

RAJThorpe

Dec 12, 2010, 5:27:37 PM12/12/10
to Geneaquilts
I downloaded Geneaquilts and got it running just fine. Then I imported
a GEDCOM from my program "The Master Genealogist". That worked just
fine too. However, I can't figure out how the order of the individuals
in any generation was determined. My assumption would be that they
would be chronologically by birth date, but I, the oldest sibling in
my family was after all my other siblings. Did I import it incorrectly
somehow?

Robert Thorpe
tho...@skep.com

Jean-Daniel Fekete

Dec 12, 2010, 5:58:09 PM12/12/10
to genea...@googlegroups.com, tho...@skep.com
Dear Robert,

You are the first to ask, I was expecting others to ask much earlier.
The algorithm used to layout the genealogy does not take into account
the order of the children or of the weddings. It tries to put the
individual and families as close as possible from the diagonal
regardless of the order.
We discussed introducing other orders, such as chronological. It would
be relatively possible.
In your experience, are the dates frequently missing in genealogies? Can
I rely on them usually?

Jean-Daniel

Le 12/12/2010 22:27, RAJThorpe a �crit :

--
Jean-Daniel Fekete Jean-Dani...@inria.fr
AVIZ Team Leader, INRIA www.aviz.fr

Peter Frederick

Dec 12, 2010, 6:22:41 PM12/12/10
to Jean-Daniel Fekete, genea...@googlegroups.com, tho...@skep.com
Hi Jean-Daniel

I'm sure others will chip in but in many cases people would have birth
date (or at least year) to put siblings in order. Of course this would
not always be the case. As you research you find snippets of
information about individuals from different source documents (for
example death certificates in Queensland list all the children of the
deceased). This may be sufficient to let you know for example of the
existance of siblings but not necessarily their date of birth. If you
conduct additional research you can fill in the missing information
(assuming you can find it). Unfortunately you do not always have it
and in certain cases may never have it.

I guess you could sort the siblings by birth date by name so if the
date wasn't available then it would be by name ....

Thanks for developing a cool program anyway.... it is a nice way to
look at your datasets.

Regards
Peter

On 13 December 2010 08:58, Jean-Daniel Fekete

Robert Thorpe

Dec 14, 2010, 5:43:06 PM12/14/10
to genea...@googlegroups.com

I would like to see a "Sort" Tab added beside "View" and "Edit". When
selected, It would allow you to sort the order of individuals and families.
Any selection would require the chart to be regenerated.

For individuals, I would like to suggest choices like; Default (what you are
doing now), Birth date order, Alphabetical order (last name, first name),
Family order (All siblings grouped in birth order), Others that apply to
non-genealogical situations.

For families, the order of the columns seems like it should be by marriage
date.

> In your experience, are the dates frequently missing in genealogies?

Often, yes. There is always a missing date somewhere, but birth date is one
item of data that researchers really try to find. I suggest you sort by the
dates that are provided. If a date is missing, that entry goes to the end or
beginning of the list.

Thanks for your consideration,
Robert Thorpe