Comments on useability

Vernd

Dec 8, 2010, 12:58:18 AM12/8/10
to Geneaquilts
I downloaded your program and presented it to my Genealogy class for
their review. A few comments for your review.

I think the program is most valuable for sifting through large trees
to find errors or missing links. But it could use better display
tools.

In setting it up I tried a large ( 6800 people) and small ( 50
people) family trees and both loaded up OK and seemed to function as
I thought they would. I was hard to get perspective of a family with
a large tree. When I tried to look at particular family segment I lost
the ability to see any of the generations before and after. Is there
some way to choose smaller segments, eliminate those not in the family
of interest and rescale the display?

I printed up a segment of the large tree on 36" wide paper 100 " long,
but even the it was hard to get enough of the family people on the
chart. Too many lines, long line crossing the paper with do
connections. It would help if the line was at least labeled with the
person on the end of the line.

Is it possible to color ancestor lines, like many of us do to keep the
four grandparents straight?

I printed up the small tree and it proved quite useful and easy to
understand.

Jean-Daniel Fekete

Dec 8, 2010, 2:36:37 AM12/8/10
to genea...@googlegroups.com, vernd...@gmail.com
Thanks a lot for your feedback.
It shows that we definitively need a documentation for GeneaQuilt.

When you click on a person, the descendants and ascendants are selected.
Clicking again will toggle the ascendants and descendants if you want to
focus on only one of them.
You can SHIFT-click on other persons to add selections and select
several lines.
You can also select using the text-box: search the attribute you want
and type return: all the individual with an attribute that match the
typed query will be selected. You can restrict the search to specific
attributes using the list-box under the text-box so if you only want to
search on names or on TITL, that's where you restrict the search.

Once individuals are selected - whatever the method - you can click the
"Filter" button on the bottom right to restrict the visible items to the
selection and the close relatives.

I hope it answers all your requests.

Best regards,
Jean-Daniel

Le 12/8/2010 05:58, Vernd a �crit :

--
Jean-Daniel Fekete Jean-Dani...@inria.fr
AVIZ Team Leader, INRIA www.aviz.fr

Steve Chapman

Dec 8, 2010, 4:16:35 AM12/8/10
to Jean-Daniel Fekete, genea...@googlegroups.com, vernd...@gmail.com

Hi
Agreed need some documentation.
Filter comment below most useful.
Main need at present is problem of missing surnames
Thanks
Steve in Dorset

Jean-Daniel Fekete

Dec 8, 2010, 4:27:56 AM12/8/10
to genea...@googlegroups.com, sc...@seleston.co.uk
The name thing is done, we'll test it and release the new version.

Jean-Daniel

Le 12/8/2010 09:16, Steve Chapman a �crit :