Spurious(?) DoNotSwallowErrorsCatchingNonSpecificExceptionsRule on async blocks

Nick Tindall

Sep 9, 2015, 9:26:30 AM9/9/15
to Gendarme
Hi All,

every time I have an async block. For example this:

public async Task DoSomethingAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken, ModelDto modelDto)
{
    if (modelDto.BooleanProperty) {
        await DoSomethingElseAsync(cancellationToken, modelDto);
    }
}

will produce an error at:

System.Void Xxx.Services.Xxx.XxxService/<DoSomethingAsync>c__async1::MoveNext()

The only way to ignore them is by using an ignore in the ignore file because they're errors in a class that seems to get generated by the mono compiler (c_async1) to implement the async block.

Is this actually a valid quality error in this case? am I missing something? or is this just a problem with the Gendarme pattern and compiler.

I would just ignore the rule globally, except it is a good when when it's not checking generated classes. Does anyone have a workaround for this? if not is there a bug tracker somewhere I can submit it to?

Cheers,
Nick T