Battery cable issue for 2002 model 825

Dan Beck

Oct 19, 2022, 3:28:12 PM10/19/22
to GEM NEV Electric Vehicle Forum
Hello all,
My friend past away 9 years ago and his widow wants to give the GEM car to a church camp but batteries were removed 12 years ago and 2 cables were cut. I need a wiring diagram and/or some guidance to figure this out. I don't want to connect the cables up wrong. It has the Zivan charger if that makes a difference.
Thank's  Dan

Kendall Pond

Oct 19, 2022, 4:33:00 PM10/19/22
to GEM NEV Electric Vehicle Forum
Hi Dan,

Yeah, be cautious working around the batteries.  They are all wires in series - positive of one battery connected to the negative of the next one and so on.  6 batteries at 12v each wired in series gives the GEM the 72V it needs.  Please see attached pic for a simplistic view of the batteries.  Replacing the batteries will not be inexpensive... maybe the right time to consider conversion to ( lithium (LiFePO4).  I just converted a 2002 Gem 825 and I retained the OEM charging socket so the ease/useability is the same.  I made the wiring diagrams to do the conversion and would be happy to send them to you if you are interested.  Long story short, the LiFePO 4 upgrade will cost more at the beginning but you can get a MUCH longer life out of the cells (at least 4000 charge cycles (aka, charge every day for 10 years) whereas with the lead acid technology you will need to replace again in another 2-4 years depending on how well you maintain them.

BattLayout.jpg

John Reed

Oct 19, 2022, 7:42:36 PM10/19/22
to gem_nev_electri...@googlegroups.com
try looking up Ride4Fun.com  this guy only does Gem cars and is
really sharp.  He may be able to help you