gem5 mercurial repository, "Name or service not known"

Samaksh Sethi

Aug 24, 2020, 1:33:33 PM8/24/20
to gem5-gpu Developers List
Hi experts,
I'm really new here, so please bear with me

I'm trying to get started with https://gem5-gpu.cs.wisc.edu/wiki/start

hg and qclone are working perfectly otherwise, my opinion is that http://repo.gem5.org/gem5 is not loading for me on my browser too, so the issue might be due to that

I have gem5 working on my pc, if that helps

Thnaks for the help

Jason Lowe-Power

Aug 24, 2020, 1:39:25 PM8/24/20
to Samaksh Sethi, gem5-gpu Developers List
Hi,

The mercurial repo for gem5 has been deprecated for almost 3 years, and I guess it was recently phased out. Please use the up to date git repo at https://gem5.googlesource.com/,

Additionally, gem5-gpu has not been supported since at least 2017 (probably before that, too).

Jason

Samaksh Sethi

Aug 25, 2020, 5:00:31 AM8/25/20
to gem5-gpu Developers List
Alright thanks for the help!!

"Additionally, gem5-gpu has not been supported since at least 2017 (probably before that, too)."
About this, so do people not use the software anymore, are there better alternatives out there now?
I'm really new to it so I would like to know more about it's future before getting into it

Jason Lowe-Power

Aug 26, 2020, 1:17:01 PM8/26/20
to Samaksh Sethi, gem5-gpu Developers List
gem5-gpu is definitely not developed anymore. I don't know about the use :).

There's no great solution right now. We're hoping that gem5-20.1 will have SE support for AMD's GCN architecture. Check out the gem5-dev list, gerrit, and jira for more info.

Cheers,
Jason

Abhishek Singh

Aug 26, 2020, 1:50:19 PM8/26/20
to Jason Lowe-Power, Samaksh Sethi, gem5-gpu Developers List
Hello Jason,

From the development document of gem5, one of the goal this year is trying to run tensorflow and pytorch application.

Does that mean AMD’s GCN will be running those applications?

--
Best Regards,
Abhishek

Daniel Gerzhoy

Aug 26, 2020, 2:02:17 PM8/26/20
to Abhishek Singh, Jason Lowe-Power, Samaksh Sethi, gem5-gpu Developers List
I just wanted to chime in and say that I recently switched from gem5-gpu to the GCN3 model (on the staging branch, but it should be merged over to the main branch soon)
and I would HIGHLY recommend doing the same.

gem5-gpu was an integration of two different simulators (gem5 cpu model +cache, and gpgpusim) and as such was at times very confusing to use and debug.

The new GCN3 model in gem5 is excellent, easy to use, and most importantly *in active development*

Best,
Dan Gerzhoy

Jason Lowe-Power

Aug 26, 2020, 2:07:09 PM8/26/20
to Daniel Gerzhoy, Abhishek Singh, Samaksh Sethi, gem5-gpu Developers List
Thanks, Daniel.

To answer Abhishek's question: Yes, someday. This is harder than we hoped :)

A bit more on the public version... we *hope* to have some support released in gem5-20.1. Tensorflow/pytorch will be at least 20.2 maybe later.

Cheers,
Jason

Samaksh Sethi

Aug 26, 2020, 2:13:01 PM8/26/20
to gem5-gpu Developers List
Alright, thanks for the recommendations, everyone!! :)

Samaksh Sethi

Aug 27, 2020, 9:22:39 AM8/27/20
to gem5-gpu Developers List
Hi Daniel,
I would really appreciate if you could help me understand a few things.
Does this GCN3 model let us use gem5 to perform a cpu as well as gpu emulation at the same time or only either cpu OR gpu at once?
Also how much would you suggest a beginner to use it  (in terms of debugging, support and general bugs that are just not in my control) , considering its still unreleased?
Thanks!

mattds...@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2020, 2:28:01 PM8/27/20
to gem5-gpu Developers List
Dan can also answer your questions directly, but I would recommend you move this question to the gem5 mailing list, so more than just Dan can answer it.

My two cents:

- the CPU and GPU in gem5 are coherent with one another, so yes you can run applications doing things simultaneously on the CPU and GPU
- the GCN3 model *has* been released: https://gem5.googlesource.com/amd/gem5/+/refs/heads/agutierr/master-gcn3-staging, it just hasn't been fully integrated into the develop branch: https://gem5.googlesource.com/public/gem5/+/refs/heads/develop
- there are a bunch of resources about how to get started.  I recommend starting here: http://www.gem5.org/2020/05/27/modern-gpu-applications.html and here: http://www.gem5.org/documentation/general_docs/gpu_models/GCN3 (old version may also be useful: http://old.gem5.org/GPU_Models.html).  The first link includes information about Docker support for the GCN3 GPU that we've create, which removes most of the complexity of getting the GCN3 model up and running in the simulator.

So, it's not perfect, but we do have resources to get things up and running.  That's not a promise we'll fix the bugs you run into or anything, just that it's not like you are starting from 0 either.

Matt

Daniel Gerzhoy

Aug 28, 2020, 9:18:43 AM8/28/20
to mattds...@gmail.com, gem5-gpu Developers List
Thanks Matt.

Samaksh, like Matt said the new gem5 (like gem5-gpu) models both a GPU and CPU at the same time, and keeps memory coherent between them.

As for bugs out of your control, you should really only run into serious bugs if you make functional changes to the simulator (say to the coherence protocol) that
the simulator might now be *currently* coded to handle. I haven't run into any bugs that didn't have *something* to do with a change I made or a unique I was using the simulator.

I would also highly recommend going through the learning gem5 course (http://www.gem5.org/documentation/learning_gem5/introduction/)
You can probably knock it out in a couple of days and it's really helpful to have the different pieces of the simulator explained .

This will be particularly helpful when studying the code to understand what the simulator is doing. Which you will absolutely have to do :)
I recommend having a good IDE/Editor setup too. I'm running gem5 via my research groups cluster which initially made having an IDE very difficult
and I used GVIM and scripts to find stuff in the codebase and it was miserable lol. If this is your situation I recommend https://github.com/cdr/code-server which lets you run VsCode in a browser.

Good Luck!

Dan

Samaksh Sethi

Aug 30, 2020, 6:42:01 AM8/30/20
to gem5-gpu Developers List
Thanks for all the help with getting started!!
I got through a lot of issues with the links everyone provided!