High School Math and Chromebooks

Kellie Schumacher

Oct 21, 2021, 3:00:49 PMOct 21
to GEG Ohio
Hello,
Our district, like many others, is now 1:1 with Chromebooks for all teachers and students.
Before this, teachers had thin clients used for accessing a virtual desktop that also included Microsoft Tools.  Thin clients are going away after this school year, and our math teachers are struggling with converting their Word and PowerPoint documents over to Google.    Converting a Word or PowerPoint document that has Equation Editor in it changes the equation text into an image that can no longer be edited and the format of the entire document is usually affected.   We are also investigating a good tool for math text for teachers to use in the creation of new Google documents going forward.  We have been trying out Equatio.

Does anyone have a math department that is solely using Chromebooks?  If so, what did the process for switching Microsoft documents to Google documents look like?  Are there any extensions they are using to create new documents with math text?  Are there any buildings that went the Chromebook route but kept PCs for the math department or any other specific departments?

Any information you can give is appreciated.  Thank you!

Eric Curts

Oct 21, 2021, 3:38:42 PMOct 21
to Kellie Schumacher, GEG Ohio
Kellie,

I definitely recommend Equatio for creating math in Google tools. Educators can register to get the full version at no cost, which comes with loads of great features. It can be used in pretty much any Google tool including Docs, Slides, Forms, Jamboard, and more. And you can enter the math in lots of ways including the equation editor, handwriting, speaking, taking a picture, etc.

Texthelp has a lot of helpful videos on their channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Texthelp/videos but let me know if you have specific questions about it.

Eric

Sally Garza

Oct 21, 2021, 4:00:48 PMOct 21
to Kellie Schumacher, GEG Ohio
Another option is to have students and staff use OneNote Online.  If their chromebooks have touch screen, students and staff will be able to draw/ink on OneNote which also has an equation editor.  But we switched recently to Equatio and the math teachers love it.

On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 3:00 PM Kellie Schumacher <kschu...@sd308.org> wrote:

Sally Garza

Upper School Technology Director & Teacher

330.908.6807

lawrenceschool.org