Parent/Guardian Consent- Google Services

Christina Conolly

Jul 23, 2021, 10:44:35 AMJul 23
to GEG Ohio
My district is just looking into using additional Google services like Google Earth and CS First (behind the curve a bit, I know!).  Google's terms of service indicates that parent/guardian consent must be obtained in order to use these services.  The IT Department in my district wants to ensure 100% parental consent before opening these services for students.  As the Technology Coach for the district, I am very anxious to have these services open so we can start reaping the educational benefits but I"m not sure how to ensure 100% of parents actually sign-off on using them.  I'm curious, how does your school district handle the parental consent for these and other Google services?

tarafarah7

Jul 24, 2021, 5:43:16 PMJul 24
to Christina Conolly, GEG Ohio
I really thought my district was the ONLY one who didn't automatically allow students access to Google Earth. One day we had it, and the next day students could no longer access it. 😭 When I asked our IT Dept. about it, I was told that they aren't able to turn it on for individual teachers and/or students, even with permission from home because it hasn't been approved district-wide (due to an age restriction), I'm basically out of luck. I've spent so much time creating Virtual Field Trips via Google Earth and not being able to use them in class is so disappointing. 😥 (I teach high school.)

I don't really know the process for beginning of the year paperwork and forms, but when I worked at one school,  parents filled out everything from personal contact info to field trip permission slips at the beginning of the year (in one big packet) and turned it in. Maybe you could add a Google consent form to each school's enrollment or orientation materials...? That way, when they turn in everything else for the school, that consent form will be there too.

Tara Brown
@tarafarah7

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021, 10:44 AM Christina Conolly <ccon...@burlington-nj.net> wrote:
My district is just looking into using additional Google services like Google Earth and CS First (behind the curve a bit, I know!).  Google's terms of service indicates that parent/guardian consent must be obtained in order to use these services.  The IT Department in my district wants to ensure 100% parental consent before opening these services for students.  As the Technology Coach for the district, I am very anxious to have these services open so we can start reaping the educational benefits but I"m not sure how to ensure 100% of parents actually sign-off on using them.  I'm curious, how does your school district handle the parental consent for these and other Google services?
This is a staff email account managed by Burlington City Public School District.  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.

Maria Waltner

Jul 26, 2021, 11:30:17 AMJul 26
to GEG Ohio
We use FinalForms for our beginning of the year forms instead of packets and bundle in our Google (and other program) consent with our standard Responsible Use of Technology form. Maybe that would help?

Maria Waltner
Technology Coordinator
Our Lady of Grace Catholic School

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: All information in this e-mail, including attachments, is strictly confidential and intended solely for delivery to and authorized use by the addressee(s) identified above.  If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or telephone at (513) 931-3070 and delete the contents of this message from your system without disclosing the contents of this message to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the information on any medium. If you are not the named recipient you are hereby notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.