#gegchi October Slow Chat Q1 - One Month In...

David Chan

Oct 5, 2020, 9:02:44 AM10/5/20
to GEG Chicagoland
We are now one month into the school year and it's been unlike any other year.
Share one positive that’s come out of your teaching and learning experience thus far.

Mia Gutsell

Oct 5, 2020, 5:26:22 PM10/5/20
to GEG Chicagoland
One positive has been that I have teachers who understand I cannot solve all technology problems in my district. They encourage their peers to try to troubleshoot before coming to me.

Ayana Dickens

Oct 5, 2020, 5:56:21 PM10/5/20
to GEG Chicagoland
One positive for me is that I noticed when I'm kicked off my Meets link due to tech issues, I come back to find my students yelling my name and wishing for me to come back. The tiny tots really do enjoy being in school despite the setbacks COVID-19 brings and it brightens my day.

David Chan

Oct 6, 2020, 7:41:54 AM10/6/20
to GEG Chicagoland
Yes, we have seen a lot of technology leaders develop among faculty, staff and students. I suspect this will only continue when more schools return to hybrid/in-person as the tech demands will remain.

David Chan

Oct 6, 2020, 7:43:50 AM10/6/20
to GEG Chicagoland

I have seen several of these types of encounters on Twitter. It's great to hear these counter-narratives to the negative experiences of Zoombombing and "Meet"bombing which I know still happen. Students still need and want to hear from their teachers more than ever.

Nicole Zumpano LTC

Oct 6, 2020, 8:47:03 AM10/6/20
to GEG Chicagoland
One positive I'm seeing is that many teachers who may have been reluctant before are discovering the power of appropriate technology use in their instruction. I can't imagine that everyone will want to go back to the status quo when this is over which is sure to raise the bar for everyone!

Steve Wick

Oct 6, 2020, 9:57:12 AM10/6/20
to GEG Chicagoland
I've told a few people that I feel like I am running on a treadmill on the back of a truck that is going in the wrong direction. Most days I have more questions than answers. That being said, I've enjoyed the experience and the challenge of exploring different ways to engage students. I've failed more than I've succeeded, but I am learning. There have been quite a few positives outcomes connected to remote learning that I am starting to see in my building and across my PLN. Here are a few that come to mind.
1. The emphasis on content as the focus of most learning experiences has continued to diminish. I am seeing a bigger emphasis on engaging students with a focus on critical thinking, creativity, communication, and collaboration.
2. Educators are exploring edtech resources in new and creative ways. I am seeing less of an emphasis on the latest and greatest tool and more of an emphasis on using tools we already know in new and creative ways. I love this!
3. Teachers are helping teachers more than ever. While collaboration has been a trend in education, I am seeing it more and more as we adapt to the new reality of learning.

Happy Learning Everyone!

sushma sardana

Oct 6, 2020, 3:40:19 PM10/6/20
to GEG Chicagoland
Here in India, we are getting more time to learn new technology, brainstorm with my colleagues on various academic issues and read a lot more.
No time wasted on unproductive activities like travel, minding large numbers in the classroom, staying back after school for staff meetings.
Since most of the work is paperless, so no wastage of precious resources.
You asked for positives...... the list may go on while I miss the school,  warmth of affectionate colleagues and my students!

David Chan

Oct 6, 2020, 6:20:15 PM10/6/20
to GEG Chicagoland

Totally agree Nicole - I've been hearing this frequently. Another example from our school recently was that teachers and families appreciated the option to hold conferences virtually and this will likely be an option in future years.

David Chan

Oct 6, 2020, 6:21:12 PM10/6/20
to GEG Chicagoland
Great points Steve! We have been forced in many ways to do these things and hopefully for the better in the end. Thanks for sharing!

David Chan

Oct 6, 2020, 6:22:21 PM10/6/20
to GEG Chicagoland
Yes, there are definitely things to miss as well, but I agree about your points on time management, less wasting of resources, and the environmental savings associated with remote learning.

Cheri duensing

Oct 8, 2020, 9:04:53 PM10/8/20
to GEG Chicagoland
I was frightened of the technology and I am now embracing it.  I am allowing the ways I can teach be expanded during our full remote.

David Chan

Oct 9, 2020, 8:58:50 AM10/9/20
to GEG Chicagoland
So great to hear that your apprehensions have subsided; I think many teachers feel similarly, but I'm sure there are others that are struggling still. Don't hesitate to connect with folks here if you need additional support!