District shift from Windows desktops to laptops

Jeannie Rahaman

Apr 12, 2024, 9:10:40 AMApr 12
to GEG Michigan
Our district is looking to move to docking stations for laptops because we've been told that our current desktop machines cannot be upgraded to Windows 11.  Does anyone have any experience with laptops w/ docking stations (pros/cons) and converting desktop labs to chromeboxes for students?
Looking for feedback before major changes are implemented.

Jeremy Badiner

Apr 12, 2024, 3:03:52 PMApr 12
to GEG Michigan
We did that about 10 years ago. We get new devices every 5 years. We had issues with a docked laptop in classrooms and went back to a Desktop and a Chromebook for every teacher the last purchase round. The reason is that when a teacher was sick or gone, there was not a device on the teacher's desk for a Sub to use to teach. It was a huge issue as most teachers rely on Slides, videos, and other display tools even when a sub is teaching. Without a computer, all that has to be "old school". Our staff is much happier with a good Chromebook and a desktop (we use those micro desktops that are super fast and small). It was a great compromise for the past 5 years, and our next purchase is for next year with the same setup, a small desktop, and a mobile Chromebook.