A Type Driven Approach to Functional Design

Grant Rettke

Oct 12, 2012, 3:18:02 PM10/12/12
to geekbo...@googlegroups.com
Dear Former GOTO Night Attendee,

We would like to invite you to attend the third GOTO Night in Chicago
with Michael Feathers on October 25, 2012. The agenda for the evening
will start with food and drinks from 5:00 - 6:00 PM and the
presentation will begin at 6:00PM.

Location:
Morningstar USA Global Headquarters
22 West Washington Street Chicago, IL 60602

Registration: http://gotochicago.eventbrite.com/

Presentation
A Type Driven Approach to Functional Design
Design is the thing that we all assume that we can do. Once we know
the syntax of a language we write code to solve our problem, often in
an exploratory way. We are left wondering whether there is a more
deterministic route toward our solutions.
In this talk, Michael Feathers will describe an approach toward
planning the design of the functional portions of an application by
using a very simplified variation of Haskell type expression syntax.
The advantage of using this syntax is that it lays bare opportunities
for refactoring and alternative program structure. It can also guide
implementation in a variety of static and dynamic functional languages
without being overly prescriptive.
Speaker
Michael Feathers is a Member of the Technical Staff at Groupon. Prior
to joining Groupon, Michael was the Chief Scientist of Obtiva, and a
Senior Consultant with Object Mentor International. Over the years,
Michael has spent a great deal of time helping teams after design over
time in code bases. Michael is also the author of the book Working
Effectively with Legacy Code (Prentice Hall, 2004).
GOTO Chicago Nights are a series of local events where industry
leading speakers are combined with an excellent chance for mingling
and networking. GOTO Chicago Nights are produced by the GOTO Chicago
Conference Team.

About GOTO Chicago
GOTO Chicago takes place April 23-26th, 2013 and includes 2 Training
Days led by leading practitioners and authors on various subjects and
2 Conference days with over 30 of the best speakers in the field. With
a 360 degree perspective, we present new technology and trends in a
non vendor forum to give attendees inspiration, energy and desire to
learn.
For more information about GOTO Chicago, check our our event site:
http://gotocon.com/chicago-2013/
GOTO Chicago Night Sponsor
Special thanks to our GOTO Night Sponsor for this event, Morningstar