OpenCV information

Caleb Madrigal

Jul 5, 2012, 10:47:50 PM7/5/12
to geekbo...@googlegroups.com
I just finished learning some basics (such as how to install) OpenCV on the Mac with Python bindings.  Here's my blog post on it: http://www.calebmadrigal.com/intro-opencv-python/.  Right now, I'm working on getting a box drawn around faces in live video.

Caleb Madrigal

Jul 6, 2012, 1:11:50 AM7/6/12
to geekbo...@googlegroups.com
Got it working :)  Here is the blog post on facial detection: http://www.calebmadrigal.com/facial-detection-opencv-python/

Dave Colwell

Jul 8, 2012, 10:04:50 AM7/8/12
to geekbo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for posting this in your blog, Caleb.  After updating my XCode install and wrestling with some bad dependencies in MacPorts, I was finally able to get numpy and OpenCV installed.  I tried your example picture taking code and it works!  I'm off to find a good tutorial now.

Caleb Madrigal

Jul 8, 2012, 5:02:05 PM7/8/12
to geekbo...@googlegroups.com
Glad it helped.  Also, I've found something else really interesting: SimpleCV.  It is a really new Python Computer Vision framework which utilizes OpenCV.  It looks ridiculously simple :)  For example, here is sample code to show a live video feed with SimpleCV:

from SimpleCV import Camera
cam = Camera()
while True:
   cam.getImage().show()

There is a brand new book which covers doing CV with SimpleCV which has not yet been released, but which you can read on Safari: http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Computer-Vision-SimpleCV-Technology/dp/1449320368.  It looks really good.  I'm going through some of it right now.

Caleb