Loose ends from past meetings

johnh

Sep 11, 2012, 7:08:08 PM9/11/12
to geekbo...@googlegroups.com
A couple of meetings ago, Dave and I were discussing machine learning. I don't remember the exact context, but I think Dave might jokingly have said something about computers being smart enough some day to program themselves, making developers obsolete. It reminded me of a front-page NY Times article about robotics displacing a variety of manual-labor jobs. Included in the article were quotes from one of the authors of the book Race Against the Machine. Both the book and the article emphasize that the way to succeed/survive in the job market is to work with The Machines. I was trying to make the same observation about surviving as a developer, but the point may have been lost. In any event, here is the article. Hear and Now featured an interview with book co-author Erik Brynjolfsson recently, which captures the essence of the argument.

The book itself is more business than technical, so probably not suitable for the club. Still, the ideas are interesting.