Problem in new script

Sparkgapper

Nov 13, 2023, 1:05:26 PM11/13/23
to GEDitCOM II Discussions
It has been quite a while since I used the report option so when I notice that the "Buri" into was not in my report I began to check it out. I discovered that the script looks to be brand new so looked for the "BURI" section. Noticed that it was all as comments with two likes showing what to do. Since this is headed

! CreateList extraEvents
! For Example" to include burial events:
! CreateList OneEvent, "BURI","was buried","true"
! extraEvents addObject oneEvent

I removed the ! and since I did not see a compile did a 'save and run'.
No BURI info in report.
Why?

Sparkgapper

Sparkgapper

Nov 16, 2023, 5:13:24 PM11/16/23
to GEDitCOM II Discussions
Guess I forgot part of the above.
I remove the ! from the last two lines and since I did not se a compile did a 'save and run'.

No BURI info in report.
Why?

William G. Bates

Nov 23, 2023, 10:51:02 AM11/23/23
to geditcom-ii...@googlegroups.com
Guess everyone is busy with something else this time of year. Will try to remember to reintroduce this after the New Year.
WGB

John Nairn, Developer

Nov 23, 2023, 12:09:30 PM11/23/23
to GEDitCOM II Discussions
I was not sure which extension you meant? I found similar text in the "Descendants by Generations" scripts. Here are some ideas (if you meant a different script, the answer is probably the same):

1. The "new" script is entirely rewritten using my internal scripting options. They are much faster and more reliable the AppleScripts but they are also a new languages that needs new syntax.

2. You said you uncommented just the last two lines, you need the first one too.

Here are more details in the comments of the script I was looking at:

! Users can customize this report to include more events on each individual
! For each event, add a list with three items to the extraEvents list:
!   1. GEDCOM tag for the event to include
!   2. text to described the event (in past tense)
!   3. "true" to include place and address or "false" to just have the place

CreateList extraEvents
! For Example: to include burial events
! CreateList oneEvent,"BURI","was buried","true"
! extraEvents.addObject oneEvent

Now the "CreateList" line is uncommented and it creates list named "extraEvents". Uncommenting the last two lines creates another list and then adds that list to the extraEvents list. You can save and run or just save and then go back to GEDitCOM II and try again. I am surprised not uncommenting the first CreateList line did not cause an error. Make sure you are editing and saving the right copy of the script.

To be sure you have lastest version of all extension, you could try the pre-release of version 3.1 now available here (see ReadMe.txt file in the download for more details):

John Nairn

William G. Bates

Nov 23, 2023, 4:33:00 PM11/23/23
to 'Nigel Garvey' via GEDitCOM II Discussions
On 23 Nov 2023, at 10:09, John Nairn, Developer <jo...@geditcom.com> wrote:

[...]

----------------------
That’s the one I am talking about and have all three as shone above (I made the deletion to show what I have is what you described) BUT no burial information on report. Also made sure that space after the ! was eliminated as well though it did not seem to matteer. I have used both from the Script Editor and from the Extentions menu with exact same results.
I amassuming  that it is no longer necessary to ‘COMPILE’ the script as that function is not shown.
Unable to use screenshot as that database is on a different computer.
I did try to use the “Refresh Extentions” but absolutely nothing happened.
Will somehow get that URL over to the other computer and try it.
Tks
----------------------

On Mon, Nov 13, 2023 at 11:05 AM Sparkgapper <wgb...@gmail.com> wrote:
It has been quite a while since I used the report option so when I notice that the "Buri" into was not in my report I began to check it out. I discovered that the script looks to be brand new so looked for the "BURI" section. Noticed that it was all as comments with two likes showing what to do. Since this is headed

! CreateList extraEvents
! For Example" to include burial events:
! CreateList OneEvent, "BURI","was buried","true"
! extraEvents addObject oneEvent

I removed the ! and since I did not see a compile did a 'save and run'.
No BURI info in report.
Why?

Sparkgapper

Jay Fletcher

Jan 2, 2024, 5:04:34 PMJan 2
to GEDitCOM II Discussions
I downloaded version 3.1 beta and installed it on macOS Sonoma (GEDitCOM II and GEDitCOM II Editor). I get errors saying that the applications cannot be opened, and I don't see any way to override this in System Settings.

John Nairn, Developer

Jan 6, 2024, 1:35:49 PMJan 6
to GEDitCOM II Discussions
The beta was notarized by Apple, but the Zip file that was uploaded was not. I don't know what Apple is objecting too, but if the current official release works in Sonoma the beta should too.  I tested by downloading my self and in MacOS Vetura I get this message:

“GEDitCOM II” is an app downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?

I can click "Open" to open it. If that is what you got, just click open (it is safe). If you got something else or a new mesage, it could be a new so-called "feature" of MacOS Somoma. In the past, a work around has been:

1. Before starting the beta version, open System Preferences and go to Privacy and Security
2. Scroll down to bottom and make sure you have checked "App Store and Identified Developers." It is possible an "upgrade" to Sonoma changed to App store only (which Apple prefers because they get a nice cut of the gross sales).
3. Once that is set, start the application. In the past, when Apple block san app from opening, it provides a hidden a button in "Privacy & Security" to allowed you to run anyway. I have not try this in recent versions, however.

Let me know if these steps work. I will test in Sonoma myself, but again, if current posting works, the beta should too (once one works around Apple's efforts to stop you using your computer).

John Nairn