Families - Missing Portrait

David

Jun 19, 2024, 5:11:05 AMJun 19
to GEDitCOM II Discussions
GEDitCOM II 3.2(1) & previous versions
For Families > All tab with multimedia I have been unable to designate a portrait. Looks as if the 'GoSub InsertPortrait,@OBJE,@_NOPOR' line is missing from FAM_All Record Editing in the Default Format?

David

Jun 19, 2024, 7:11:32 AMJun 19
to GEDitCOM II Discussions
Additional - needs a 'newline'  before the Events block to allow for tall portraits?

John Nairn

Jun 21, 2024, 1:36:32 PMJun 21
to geditcom-ii-discussions@googlegroups.com geditcom-ii-discussions@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

It was actually intentional. I was thinking the portrait did not need to be in “All” tab because “All” means all multimedia too. If portrait is displayed near the top, it will be there twice. In contrast, the “Family” tab does not show multimedia so adding a portrait there makes sense.

Of course, you don’t have to agree with my approach (which is why I made all of GEDitCOM II customizable, unlike other genealogy applications). You can follow the steps you mentioned to have the portrait appear in the “All” tab as well. It is good practice to copy the “Default Format” to your user domain before changing it. A tricky issue is dealing with tall portraits. The InsertPortrait subroutine sets a global #boxend variable the gives the vertical position for the bottom of the portrait. On each new line, a changed script might need

newline
if #vpos$>#boxend
  DisplayWidth #oldWidth
endif

This checks if the display has passed the portrait and then resets the width to use the full window again.

The only challenge of changing the Default Format is that each new upgrade might have other new features in the “Default Format.” If you keep a list of changes you make, you can add them again in any updated versions. I don’t have a great fix to this issue. Some text comparison tools can help (Apple developer tools has a FileMerge app that can compare all templates in two browser style files).

Regards,
John Nairn