Copy and Pasting Sources

theboo...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2021, 2:42:48 PM1/4/21
to GEDitCOM II Discussions
I use Simon Jenkins' modified default format. I don't think this is an issue with his browser style (I think it's Apple) but if anything knows anything that would be great.

The style has Copy and Paste Source buttons. I find these incredibly useful and is one of the reasons I use this style.

Copying a source is no problem but pasting it can be. Often (but certainly not always) it can take anything up to a minute for the pasting to complete - the spinning beach ball gets a good outing. You can paste the same source several times: one time it'll take ages, a moment later it will work perfectly, then it will take ages again.

The problem first appeared with Mojave. It was fine under Catalina and then Big Sur but the latter must have updated recently, and it's back again.

Very odd!

Mick

John Nairn, Developer

Jan 5, 2021, 5:40:42 PM1/5/21
to GEDitCOM II Discussions
Those source copy and paste features are a nice addition. They work by including two AppleScript programs in the Modified Default Format  browser style. When you click the buttons, the AppleScript is run. Now this should be fine, but it does rely on Apply being a good citizen and continuing to support AppleScript well (and not making them slow, unweldly, or breaking them altogether). Unfortunately, Apple is not very enthusiastic about AppleScript anymore. So far it is still there, but they removed it from many of their own apps (like Pages) and have not updated it for about 20 years. Maybe I could create a feature that could accomplish the same task without counting on Apple's support?

For those using the Modified Default Format, I posted an update last week on geditcom.com that extends it to support both light and dark modes.

Regards,
John Nairn

theboo...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2021, 6:06:35 PM1/5/21
to GEDitCOM II Discussions
Thanks, John, for that info. I hadn't realised that Apple had gone cool on Applescript. I wonder what they will use instead. If you could create a similar feature, then that would be great.

Thanks to you - and, indeed, to Simon for all the work you put in.

Jay Fletcher

Feb 7, 2024, 3:45:41 PMFeb 7
to GEDitCOM II Discussions
I would like to use the source copy and paste features in the modified default format. Has any work been done to update them for use with the current release of GEDitCOM II? Where can I find the latest version of the modified default format?

Thank you,
Jay

theboo...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2024, 4:18:37 PMFeb 7
to GEDitCOM II Discussions
Hello Jay

The Modified Default Format (MDF) doesn't really work with the current version of GeditCom II which is, I think, a major rewrite of earlier versions.

I absolutely love the MDF, written by a user, and I tried to modify the current Default Format myself. It's a big job and I'm not a programmer. I've managed to get much of the MDF functionality including copying and pasting sources but it's nothing like as smooth as the original, and it needs several fudges that I don't know how to solve.  I won't share it for that reason. It's far from ready and could muck everything up for somebody.

John did once say that he might have a go at updating it but, as I say, it's a big job and, what with Apple's ongoing efforts to make life difficult, I reckon he provides a star service and must have a list of other priorities as long as my arm.

Best

Mick

Jay Fletcher

Feb 7, 2024, 6:14:06 PMFeb 7
to GEDitCOM II Discussions
Thanks for your reply, Mick. If I understand the situation correctly, the incompatibility with the current version of GEDitCOM II is caused by its dependence on AppleScript. It would be great to eliminate that dependence and ensure that future versions of MDF remain compatible with GEDitCOM II by leveraging the internal scripting language that is maintained as part of the application. I have some experience working the GEDitCOM II scripting language, and I would be interested in working with you to update the MDF. I may be biting off more than I can chew, but I'm willing to give it a try.

Best,
Jay

theboo...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2024, 6:51:57 PMFeb 8
to GEDitCOM II Discussions
Hey Jay,

I'll pass on your suggestion of cooperating on modifying the MDF, but thanks for the suggestion. I'd like to but I don't have time, and even less ability at programming.

My modifications to the current Default Format to get closer to the original MDF consisted, almost entirely, of copying relevant bits of Simon's code and pasting it into the right place in John's code. Worked okay in many instances, but not in others, and these are the ones that I have either been unable to solve or have had to fudge it.

It's a shame because Simon's format fits perfectly with my way of thinking and working.

I also use Simon's census report as well. I managed to modify it to include the 1921 census. It's a great little tool.

Thanks Simon, for all that work.

Cheers

Mick