Propagate without posting branching

Oleg Zaikin

May 11, 2022, 12:10:17 PM5/11/22
to Gecode
Dear Gecode team.

In my program, I create a space and post all the needed constraints.
I do not need any branching to be done, only a result of the propagation is
needed, so I do not call the branch() function. The problem is that the status()
function always returns SS_SOLVED, even if in fact no solution is found.
1. Is it because the queue of branchers is empty, so the space’s status()
function terminates and reports that the space is solved?
2. If yes, then is it possible to post a trivial branching that does nothing?

Best regards, Oleg

Mikael Zayenz Lagerkvist

May 23, 2022, 9:58:04 AM5/23/22
to Gecode
Hi,

In Gecode, if there are no branchers and propagation does not detect a failure, then the Space is considered solved for the purposes of search. This may include unassigned variables, but that may be desired in some situations.

A trivial branching that does nothing would not do anything, so I fail to see what effect iyou are trying to achieve.

Cheers
Zayenz

Oleg Zaikin

Jun 7, 2022, 8:07:28 AM6/7/22
to Gecode
Dear Mikael.

We need it to run just our own propagation once and estimate the achieved effect.
We managed to do so by using a customised brancher that does no branching.

Best regards, Oleg.

понедельник, 23 мая 2022 г. в 14:58:04 UTC+1, Mikael Zayenz Lagerkvist:

Mikael Zayenz Lagerkvist

Jun 7, 2022, 8:20:55 AM6/7/22
to gec...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

If you have a Space you can run propagation on it by calling the
Space::status() function. no need for search engines or branchers.

Cheers,
Mikael
> --

Mikael Zayenz Lagerkvist