Reporting options

jc

Nov 5, 2021, 9:12:30 AM11/5/21
to Geb User Mailing List
Hi all, we've been using Geb-Spock-Reports since I've started using Geb several years ago and I've always loved it because it is a simple and clean report that integrates the tests with their screenshots upon failure.  Looks like it is no longer supported and I am unsure it is going to work with Geb 5.0.   It looks like there is a release candidate that updates it to Groovy 3.0 and a early version of Spock 2.0, but it is about 18 months old now and I'm unsure it's going to work.  I'm hesitant to go through the process of updating Geb only to find out this reporting solution won't work.

I'm wondering if anyone else has any other reporting solution they like that achieves something similar?  Or even better if someone knows how to contribute to geb-spock-reports to update it to work with Geb 5.0 that would be absolutely amazing.

Marcin Erdmann

Nov 5, 2021, 9:36:36 AM11/5/21
to geb-...@googlegroups.com
How about rather than upgrade to Geb 5.0 you just create a simple test project with a trivial tests, say going to google.com and taking a screenshot and then trying it out with Geb 5.0 and Geb-Spock-Reports? That would allow you to validate if things work relatively quickly yet take on way less risk than updating your whole suite to 5.0...

On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 1:12 PM jc <jeremy...@gmail.com> wrote:
 Or even better if someone knows how to contribute to geb-spock-reports to update it to work with Geb 5.0 that would be absolutely amazing.

With regards to contributing I believe the maintainer of Geb-Spock-Reports promised to merge PRs if you submit any in https://github.com/AOEpeople/geb-spock-reports/issues/37#issuecomment-950887176. If you post any incompatibilities you find here then I might be able to help guide you in what the underlying problem is and how to fix it.

Marcin

Bob Brown

Nov 5, 2021, 9:37:52 AM11/5/21
to geb-...@googlegroups.com

FYI, I’m using:

===

GEB_VERSION = 5.0

SELENIUM_VERSION = 4.0.0-rc-1

SLF4J_VERSION = 1.7.32

SPOCK_VERSION = 2.0-groovy-3.0

GEB_SPOCK_REPORTS_VERSION = 0.3.0-RC1

===

Mostly OK.

I do experience a problem with reporting when tests are run in parallel.

I opened:

https://github.com/AOEpeople/geb-spock-reports/issues/34

As you say, the project is ‘unloved’ now.

I think the problem is that there is a race condition somewhere in the report generator that causes the intermediate json file to become corrupted. I couldn’t track down why, though…

I have to run tests sequentially to get a valid/uncorrupted report. I can still run tests in parallel if I am solely interested in the TESTING aspect, rather than the REPORTING one, but for now it is meeting my needs

I’d LOVE to find a more robust alternative…

Message has been deleted

jc

Nov 5, 2021, 9:48:16 AM11/5/21
to Geb User Mailing List
Marcin, because I haven't had my coffee yet and my brain isn't working!  Great Idea.  BTW, I absolutely love Geb and think it's so much better than anything I've used.  I wish it was more well known.  I appreciate everything you do for the project.

Bob, good to know you've found some success.  I think Geb-spock-reports is perfect because it's not "fancy" and combines everyone in one little report.  I don't need anything more robust but we may have to find something else eventually.