Pronunciation

Ben Frey

Dec 10, 2020, 11:36:15 AM12/10/20
to Geb User Mailing List
This is a question that's come up on my team: how is Geb pronounced; with a hard g like "gutter" or a soft g like "gem"?

Sher Bhachu

Dec 10, 2020, 11:38:09 AM12/10/20
to geb-...@googlegroups.com
My understanding is the latter, like 'jeb'

On Thu, 10 Dec 2020 at 16:36, Ben Frey <sparta...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is a question that's come up on my team: how is Geb pronounced; with a hard g like "gutter" or a soft g like "gem"?

Jeremy Cattau

Dec 10, 2020, 11:38:13 AM12/10/20
to geb-...@googlegroups.com
I've always pronounced it like Jeb and I'm gonna be real disappointed if that's not it.  I'll probably still call it that anyway!

tho...@posteo.de

Dec 10, 2020, 11:39:43 AM12/10/20
to geb-...@googlegroups.com
It's called "jeb", it is mentioned in the GitHub-repo's README.
https://github.com/geb/geb
I think it was also mentioned on the gebsh.org homepage, but apparently
it is not (anymore).

Am 10.12.2020 17:36 schrieb Ben Frey:
> This is a question that's come up on my team: how is Geb pronounced;
> with a hard g like "gutter" or a soft g like "gem"?
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/geb-user/afc0240c-128d-4918-939d-0cd03006a622n%40googlegroups.com
> [1].
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/geb-user/afc0240c-128d-4918-939d-0cd03006a622n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

Ben Frey

Dec 10, 2020, 11:40:31 AM12/10/20
to Geb User Mailing List
Haha, the one place I didn't check, the readme! Thanks folks. I'd been leaning towards "jeb" as well.

Marcin Erdmann

Dec 10, 2020, 4:40:41 PM12/10/20
to geb-...@googlegroups.com
For what it's worth, the pronunciation is also described in the pom: https://search.maven.org/artifact/org.gebish/geb-core/3.4.1/jar. Apparently Luke Daley, who started the project, thought that tweaking the pronunciation will make the name more "catchy". So funny that ten years down the line this still comes up. :D

Btw, if you ever wondered what the meaning of Geb is, like I did a couple of years ago which made me ask Luke, then it stands for "groovy web".

Marcin

Alexander Kriegisch

Dec 10, 2020, 8:55:02 PM12/10/20
to geb-...@googlegroups.com
I have taken the liberty to add this to the Book of Geb:
https://github.com/geb/geb/pull/167

BTW, my first PR created right on GitHub, not consisting of local
commits later pushed to a fork. It was small enough to try and do it
inline. ;-)

--
Alexander Kriegisch
https://scrum-master.de

Marcin Erdmann schrieb am 11.12.2020 04:40 (GMT +07:00):

> For what it's worth, the pronunciation is also described in the pom:
> https://search.maven.org/artifact/org.gebish/geb-core/3.4.1/jar.
> Apparently Luke Daley, who started the project, thought that tweaking the
> pronunciation will make the name more "catchy". So funny that ten years
> down the line this still comes up. :D
>
> Btw, if you ever wondered what the meaning of Geb is, like I did a couple
> of years ago which made me ask Luke, then it stands for "groovy web".
>
> Marcin
>

> On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 4:40 PM Ben Frey <sparta...@gmail.com
> <mailto:sparta...@gmail.com> > wrote:
>
>> Haha, the one place I didn't check, the readme! Thanks folks. I'd been
>> leaning towards "jeb" as well.
>>

>> On Thursday, December 10, 2020 at 11:39:43 AM UTC-5 thok...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:thok...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It's called "jeb", it is mentioned in the GitHub-repo's README.
>>> https://github.com/geb/geb
>>> I think it was also mentioned on the gebsh.org
>>> <http://gebsh.org> homepage, but apparently
>>> it is not (anymore).

>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/geb-user/afc0240c-128d-4918-939d-0cd03006a622n%40googlegroups.com

>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/geb-user/afc0240c-128d-4918-939d-0cd03006a622n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer