When is Geb releasing version with Selenium 4 features

varun...@gmail.com

May 18, 2021, 8:42:05 PM5/18/21
to Geb User Mailing List
Hi Marcin and Luke

Any idea when the Geb version supporting new features of Selenium 4 will be rolled out. I am looking forward to using NetworkInterceptor to stub out the backend

Varun

Marcin Erdmann

May 24, 2021, 3:52:26 PM5/24/21
to geb-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Varun,

I don't anticipate any work specific to Selenium 4 being done before there is a final release - as far as I can see on Maven Central it's still in beta. Note that there is nothing stopping you from using NetworkInterceptor with current Geb versions - you can always obtain an instance of WebDriver from Browser and that's all you need to use NetworkInterceptor from what I can see. But thanks for bringing this to my attention, we can at some point probably add some sugar to Browser to make using NetworkInterceptor easier.

Marcin

GebUser

Oct 15, 2021, 10:25:57 AM10/15/21
to Geb User Mailing List
Selenium 4 is officially out! the stable version is now available for download.

Marcin Erdmann

Nov 5, 2021, 9:41:21 AM11/5/21
to geb-...@googlegroups.com
I had a go at this today, Ramesh, but unfortunately no Selenium 4 compatible htmlunit driver version has been released yet and Geb's test suite depends significantly on htmlunit driver so I'm unable to verify if Geb is compatible with Selenium 4 without an htmlunit-driver version compatible with it.

Marcin

medv...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2021, 4:37:40 AM12/8/21
to Geb User Mailing List
maybe they released what's required: https://github.com/SeleniumHQ/htmlunit-driver
thank you Marcin for checking!

Alexander Kriegisch

Feb 19, 2022, 9:31:55 PM2/19/22
to geb-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Marcin.

Sorry to dig out this old thread, but it exists and I do not want to
start a new one.

https://github.com/SeleniumHQ/htmlunit-driver#version-3xx says:

> This version is compatible with Selenium 4

I tried bumping my old Spock/Geb sandbox project (based on Spock 1.3,
Groovy 2.5.14, Geb 3.0.1, Selenium 3.14.0) naively to Selenium 4.1.2 and
Geb 5.1 (while keeping the old Spock and Groovy versions for now), then
also HtmlUnit Driver from 2.36.0 to 2.58.0. Tha does not seem to work.
Reverting back to Geb 3.0.1 gets me further, but reports missing class
org.openqa.selenium.interactions.internal.Locatable - of course, because
now it is named org.openqa.selenium.interactions.Locatable (not
"internal"). I do not know if that would just be a small change in Geb
or any intermediate Geb version in between 3.0.1 and 5.1 can deal with
the new class name, depending on which Selenium version it is running
on, but out of the box it does not seem to work.

Would you mind checking again? I was hoping that due to the switch from
JSON Wire Protocol to WebDriver W3C protocol, some flaky tests involving
double-clicks, drag'n'drop and other things might become more stable on
more combinations of OS, browser and Java version. That is just a shot
into the blue, but worth a try.

BTW, do more recent Geb versions require specific minimum Spock and
Groovy versions? I found no obvious hints in the Geb release notes.

Regards
--
Alexander Kriegisch
https://scrum-master.de

Alexander Kriegisch

Feb 20, 2022, 2:32:20 AM2/20/22
to geb-...@googlegroups.com
OK, I checked Geb's dependency list on mvnrepository.com, that helped me
to determine that Geb up to 4.1 still works with Spock 1.3 and Groovy
2.5, so I updated my project successfully to

-- Geb 4.1,
-- Spock 1.3,
-- Groovy 2.5.14,
-- Selenium 3.141.59,
-- HtmlUnit 2.58.0.

The next step would be the upgrade to Geb 5.x, Spock 2.x and Groovy 3
(or optionally the new Spock 2.2 milestone supporting Groovy 4 already).
I am not expecting big problems there. But the actual question about
Selenium 4.x remains. I just want to give you some context before
replying.

--
Alexander Kriegisch
https://scrum-master.de

Alexander Kriegisch schrieb am 20.02.2022 09:31 (GMT +07:00):

> Sorry to dig out this old thread, but it exists and I do not want to
> start a new one.
>
> https://github.com/SeleniumHQ/htmlunit-driver#version-3xx says:
>
>> This version is compatible with Selenium 4
>
> I tried bumping my old Spock/Geb sandbox project (based on Spock 1.3,
> Groovy 2.5.14, Geb 3.0.1, Selenium 3.14.0) naively to Selenium 4.1.2
> and Geb 5.1 (while keeping the old Spock and Groovy versions for now),
> then also HtmlUnit Driver from 2.36.0 to 3.58.0. That does not seem to
> work. Reverting back to Geb 3.0.1 gets me further, but reports missing
> class org.openqa.selenium.interactions.internal.Locatable - of course,
> because now it is named org.openqa.selenium.interactions.Locatable
> (not "internal"). I do not know if that would just be a small change
> in Geb or any intermediate Geb version in between 3.0.1 and 5.1 can
> deal with the new class name, depending on which Selenium version it
> is running on, but out of the box it does not seem to work.
>
> Would you mind checking again? I was hoping that due to the switch
> from JSON Wire Protocol to WebDriver W3C protocol, some flaky tests
> involving double-clicks, drag'n'drop and other things might become
> more stable on more combinations of OS, browser and Java version. That
> is just a shot into the blue, but worth a try.
>
> BTW, do more recent Geb versions require specific minimum Spock and
> Groovy versions? I found no obvious hints in the Geb release notes.

Marcin Erdmann

Feb 22, 2022, 12:27:54 PM2/22/22
to geb-...@googlegroups.com
With regards to Selenium 4 support, I have a significant amount of work done on that locally but it’s not finished. I’ve been really struggling to find time to work on Geb recently due to work and family life circumstances. Things are supposed to change a bit in the middle of March so I’m hoping to have more time then and complete this work. FWIW, it’s likely that it will be a major version bump thus a Geb 6 release as I don’t have the bandwidth to support multiple combinations of Groovy, Spock and Selenium at the same time.

Alexander Kriegisch

Feb 22, 2022, 11:25:03 PM2/22/22
to geb-...@googlegroups.com
First things first, Marcin. Take care of your work and family. I do
understand your bandwidth problems. Looking forward to whenever the
Selenium 4 support is ready.

Kind regards
--
Alexander Kriegisch
https://scrum-master.de

Marcin Erdmann schrieb am 23.02.2022 00:27 (GMT +07:00):

> With regards to Selenium 4 support, I have a significant amount of
> work done on that locally but it’s not finished. I’ve been really
> struggling to find time to work on Geb recently due to work and family
> life circumstances. Things are supposed to change a bit in the middle
> of March so I’m hoping to have more time then and complete this
> work. FWIW, it’s likely that it will be a major version bump thus a
> Geb 6 release as I don’t have the bandwidth to support multiple
> combinations of Groovy, Spock and Selenium at the same time.
>

> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 at 07:32, Alexander Kriegisch wrote:
>
>> OK, I checked Geb's dependency list on mvnrepository.com, that helped
>> me to determine that Geb up to 4.1 still works with Spock 1.3 and
>> Groovy 2.5, so I updated my project successfully to
>>
>> -- Geb 4.1,
>> -- Spock 1.3,
>> -- Groovy 2.5.14,
>> -- Selenium 3.141.59,
>> -- HtmlUnit 2.58.0.
>>
>> The next step would be the upgrade to Geb 5.x, Spock 2.x and Groovy 3
>> (or optionally the new Spock 2.2 milestone supporting Groovy 4
>> already). I am not expecting big problems there. But the actual
>> question about Selenium 4.x remains. I just want to give you some
>> context before replying.

Marcin Erdmann

Aug 21, 2022, 6:30:10 PM8/21/22
to geb-...@googlegroups.com
It took way longer than I'd ideally want (partially because I sank a significant amount of time and effort into working around https://github.com/SeleniumHQ/selenium/issues/9528#issuecomment-1173482917) but this has been completed and shipped as part of the 6.0 release just now.

Marcin