Issue 847 in gears: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard

codesite...@google.com

Mar 6, 2009, 9:49:55 PM3/6/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com
Owner: gears.team.playmobil
CC: gears.team.krisr
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 847 by gears.team.srikanthk: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1.Install the latest seed of Snow Leopard with Safari 4 Beta
2.Install the latest Gears safari.
3.Restart safari.

Expected: Gears should work , Safari Menu should have Google Gears Safari
in Safari menu.

Actual: Gears is listed in installed plugins, but does not show up in the
menu.

Platform:
Mac OS X Version 10.6 (Build 10A286) - Snow Leopard
Processor: 4 Intel 2.66 GHz
RAM: 1024 MB

Gears:
Gears version: 0.5.15.0

Installed Browsers:
Safari: 4 Public Beta (6530.1)

No errors are reported in the console, gears.google.com does not show Gears
installed after installing.

http://code.google.com/hosting/settings

codesite...@google.com

Mar 9, 2009, 7:18:44 PM3/9/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com
Updates:
Cc: j...@chromium.org

Comment #1 on issue 847 by j...@chromium.org: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow

Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

I want to clarify a couple things.

1. What happens when you go to http://gears.google.com?
a) Does it show Gears as being installed?
b) What version does it show?

2. What happens when you try to enable offline Gmail?

My quick reading of this bug is that the menu item for Gears is not showing
up. That
would be a bug but it would also be different than Gears not working at all.

codesite...@google.com

Mar 16, 2009, 2:22:40 PM3/16/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #2 on issue 847 by gears.team.srikanthk: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow
Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

1. If we go to gears.google.com it does not show any thing, attached is the
screen shot of the same.

If we go to :
http://code.google.com/apis/gears/samples/hello_world_database.html
Following is the message :
Could not create database: Result of
expression 'google.gears.factory.create' [undefined] is not a function.
Also click on the button for file picker does not work,
Error using Geolocation API: Result of
expression 'google.gears.factory.create' [undefined] is not a function.
Could not create local server: Result of
expression 'google.gears.factory.create' [undefined] is not a function.
Could not create local server: Result of
expression 'google.gears.factory.create' [undefined] is not a function.

2. If we Enable offline for Gmail, attached gmail screen is displayed. if
suggested to install gears.

Attachments:
Screenshot of Gears.google.com.png 101 KB
Screenshot on Plugins installed.png 121 KB
GMail Screenshot .png 52.8 KB

codesite...@google.com

Jul 10, 2009, 12:09:35 AM7/10/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #3 on issue 847 by andres.douglas: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Gears won't even install with Snow Leopard. Trying this with Gears
0.5.22.0, the installer
gives the following error:

Google Gears is not compatible with Mac OS X versions later than Leopard
(10.5).

codesite...@google.com

Aug 26, 2009, 9:35:53 AM8/26/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #4 on issue 847 by beaug93: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard] Gears
not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Deleting the Installation check from inside the Gears pkg file allows Gears
to install on Snow Leopard and shows
in Safari's Menu (Google Gears Settings) however no sites are listed, and I
get the following error if using the
Database Demo:

Could not create database: Result of
expression 'google.gears.factory.create' [undefined] is not a function.

Safari 4.0.3 (6531.9), Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 Build 10A432

codesite...@google.com

Aug 31, 2009, 5:34:51 AM8/31/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #5 on issue 847 by jpburt: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard] Gears
not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

get message: "Google Gears is not compatible with Mac OS X versions later
than Leopard (10.5)" BUMMER!!!

codesite...@google.com

Aug 31, 2009, 10:41:50 AM8/31/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #6 on issue 847 by j...@chromium.org: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow
Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Snow Leopard and Safari 4 introduced some changes which are incompatible
with Gears.
Apple made these changes to improve the security of their OS and of
Safari. While we
continue to talk to Apple about the issue there is no workaround for us at
this time.

Gears continues to work with Firefox on Mac OS X.

codesite...@google.com

Sep 1, 2009, 11:37:10 AM9/1/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #7 on issue 847 by clawfire: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard] Gears
not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Gears installer is completly incompatible with snow leopard : "Google Gears
is not
compatible with Mac OS X versions later than Leopard (10.5)".

codesite...@google.com

Sep 1, 2009, 2:50:16 PM9/1/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #8 on issue 847 by rapposelli.fabio: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow
Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Please raise the priority level, this is a showstopper for every SSB user.

codesite...@google.com

Sep 2, 2009, 8:10:58 AM9/2/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #9 on issue 847 by kengggg: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard] Gears
not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Otherwise, push up Chrome for Mac OS X priority.

codesite...@google.com

Sep 2, 2009, 3:24:25 PM9/2/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #11 on issue 847 by ruben.bakker1: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

32bit apps like Mailplane, Fluid, or 32bit Safari work fine with Google
Gears under Snow Leopard. I removed the
OSX version check and was able to use "Offline Gmail" without problems.
However, I'm not sure if the "Snow
Leopard" networking code is still 100% compatible with the current Google
Gears implementation.

codesite...@google.com

Sep 3, 2009, 10:53:19 AM9/3/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #12 on issue 847 by chadforpresident: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow
Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Please raise the priority level of this problem. If you didn't have gears
installed before, or uninstalled it, there is
no way to get gears running. The installer tells you "Google Gears is not

compatible with Mac OS X versions later

than Leopard (10.5)" and cancels the installation. This is a show stopper.
You cannot instal gears in firefox or
safari.

codesite...@google.com

Sep 4, 2009, 1:05:54 PM9/4/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #13 on issue 847 by nicpottier: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

As others have said, this is a completely show stopper if you are on Snow
Leopard and
didn't already have gears installed. Doesn't matter what browser you are
running,
Gears refuses to install.

No gmail offline mode for me, even running chrome.

Big sad face!

codesite...@google.com

Sep 4, 2009, 2:17:13 PM9/4/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #14 on issue 847 by dcp000: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard] Gears
not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Just as a point of clarity. You can still use Gears with Firefox. Just
not Safari. Can someone tell me how to get
Chrome for OS X at all?

codesite...@google.com

Sep 4, 2009, 2:45:07 PM9/4/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #15 on issue 847 by jolit...@gmail.com: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow
Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

You can get OS X Chrome from the Developer channel at
http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?
extra=devchannel. I'm using it with GlimmerBlocker on Snow Leopard, and it
works nicely. Now it's just the Gears
we're sorely missing.

codesite...@google.com

Sep 2, 2009, 3:06:47 PM9/2/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #10 on issue 847 by z...@technocore.ru: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow
Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Code injection on OS X isn't limited to input managers — you can do it with
http://rentzsch.com/mach_inject/ or
scripting additions. Both of these solutions require additional daemon that
will trigger the injection, but they
seem to be working on Snow Leopard.
Here's more information, with a possible solution that doesn't require
additional daemons:
http://code.google.com/p/safariblock/issues/detail?id=115#c16

codesite...@google.com

Sep 5, 2009, 6:46:44 AM9/5/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #16 on issue 847 by aabdulmalik: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

It would be great if the google team can upgrade this to high priority. As
per the message above, gear can NOT
be installed on Leopard. Hence, it's not possible to use gears with any
browser.

codesite...@google.com

Sep 11, 2009, 10:57:46 AM9/11/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #17 on issue 847 by c...@christopherprice.com: [Mac] [Safari 4]
[Snow Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

The mailplane guys have a modified version of Gears that works well for me.
Using their hack, I'm again able to
use offline GFYD mail in Safari 4.0.3 on Snow Leopard 10.6.1. Thanks guys!

http://mailplaneapp.com/download/google_gears/

codesite...@google.com

Sep 11, 2009, 12:26:20 PM9/11/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #18 on issue 847 by j...@chromium.org: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow
Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Unfortunately what they are doing is forcing Safari to run as a 32 bit
application instead
of 64 bit. That is not something we could really force on all Gears
users. In fact it is
probably not something that MailPlane users will be very happy with long
term.

To be clear the only changes they made to Gears was to remove the version
checking.

codesite...@google.com

Sep 11, 2009, 1:01:51 PM9/11/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #19 on issue 847 by c...@christopherprice.com: [Mac] [Safari 4]
[Snow Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Of course it's not for the long term. They say: "It's a workaround until an
official solution is made available." I
offered the link for those who want an immediate solution.

codesite...@google.com

Sep 17, 2009, 5:10:27 PM9/17/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #20 on issue 847 by thomas.robitaille: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow
Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

People who installed Google Gears before upgrading to Snow Leopard and use
Firefox
seem to not have problems *but* if one wants to install Gears from scratch
in Firefox
on Snow Leopard, the installer says that Gears cannot be installed on MacOS
10.6.

Would it not be possible to allow the installer to proceed anyway so that
people who
use Firefox can install Gears?

codesite...@google.com

Sep 17, 2009, 5:14:36 PM9/17/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #21 on issue 847 by aptivapeople: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

I clean installed Firefox and put gears on from there in 10.6 without a
hitch. Runs
perfect now =). The only thing i can think is maybe firefox grabbed the a
previously
install gears from safari (retarded I know but after going nuts trying to
find why I
could not install gears to FF on my work comp that was what turned out to
be the prob
[this was in 10.5 though. Just thought it might be a good approach]). Just
go to
tools->addons->plugins and see if there is a gears one hiding out.

codesite...@google.com

Sep 17, 2009, 5:18:44 PM9/17/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #22 on issue 847 by thomas.p.robitaille: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow
Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

In my case this is not possible, as I installed snow leopard on a formatted
disk. It will also be a problem for
people who want to start using Gears but haven't used Gears before.

codesite...@google.com

Sep 17, 2009, 5:22:52 PM9/17/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #23 on issue 847 by thomas.robitaille: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow

codesite...@google.com

Sep 18, 2009, 3:39:36 PM9/18/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #24 on issue 847 by wackerhausen: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

This terrible. My whole life is in Gmail offline. All my time on airplanes
is where I catch up on mail. Now I can't
do that!!! I have tried all posible workarounds and can't get it working
with Safari or Firefox. Can't even install
gears from Safari. The install page goes blank....

codesite...@google.com

Sep 22, 2009, 1:45:05 PM9/22/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #25 on issue 847 by jemacd: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard] Gears
not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Found this site whilst trying to work out how to run offline gmail in
mailplane
within snow leopard.

The solution is to download the BETA version of mailplane
(http://mailplaneapp.com/download/beta/)

And the Snow Leopard Google Gears from
here:(http://mailplaneapp.com/download/google_gears/)

Then everything works just great. :)

codesite...@google.com

Oct 8, 2009, 4:49:10 AM10/8/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #26 on issue 847 by peterkaufmanenator: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow
Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

This has been listed as a problem for most of the year, and a fix is still
not
forthcoming. According to the above post, this is a problem with Safari
and not
Gears itself per se. As Mac customers, I think if we want this issue to be
fixed
properly, we have to contact Apple directly (i.e. post on Apple's message
boards).

I think if enough people ask Apple, or raise it as a concern, they won't be
able to
ignore their users' concerns forever.

Who's with me? :-)

I've started a post here:

http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=263

codesite...@google.com

Oct 8, 2009, 7:09:59 AM10/8/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #27 on issue 847 by awillmott: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

No, this is a Google problem. You're not going to get anything out of
Apple. There are two issues: their plugin is
not compatible with 64-bit safari yet (an issue shared with some other
plugins out there), and their installer
performs a version check disallowing installs on 10.6 regardless.

This was an OS change well signalled and available for testing over an
unusually long beta period. It was as you
say even reported by someone in that beta six months before release. (I
guess Google engineers did not
participate, and likely still aren't dogfooding their stuff on SL.)

That they still haven't released an official installer that works under
10.6, so you can at least run Safari in 32-bit
mode (never mind install for Chrome) shows you this is not a current
priority. (Apparently commenting on how
little work this was for a third party is, though!)

To me at this point it is unwise to rely on gmail for offline mail, or on
any of Google's Mac-related tools. (I got
caught out by all of this while travelling for business, not fun.) It's
clearly not a focus, and perhaps fair enough,
though with their engineer count I would have naively expected better.

By the way, some of the confusion on this thread is because if you stick
completely to Firefox under a from-
scratch install of 10.6, you *can* install gears (for FF only), because it
goes through the internal firefox add-on
path. You can't install it using the downloadable installer however. Unless
you use the mailplane rebuilt-without-
version-check one above.

ge...@googlecode.com

Oct 19, 2009, 4:51:06 PM10/19/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #28 on issue 847 by allen.eastwood: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

What's amazing to me is that other plugin developers have managed to figure
out how to get their stuff going
with the new architecture. SIMBL and SafariCookies are two that I use that
at least have betas in the works. And
while this isn't something I'm paying for, it does give me some insight as
to how Google prioritizes their
development efforts and some cause for thought as to whether I want to move
business-related functions, some
of which I would or do pay for with other vendors.

As a Firefox user, this particular issue isn't killing me, but I have to
wonder if this is representative of Google's
approach to the Apple and OSX world.

ge...@googlecode.com

Oct 27, 2009, 9:16:14 AM10/27/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #29 on issue 847 by Immutate: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard] Gears
not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

The fact that this is a medium priority defect is insulting.

ge...@googlecode.com

Oct 27, 2009, 9:56:31 AM10/27/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #30 on issue 847 by jesse.hollington: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow
Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

What's even more interesting is that Google Chrome is now available on the
Mac, albeit
as a "pre-beta" Developer preview, but Google Gears doesn't even work in
Google
Chrome since the installer still refuses to go on Snow Leopard.

ge...@googlecode.com

Oct 27, 2009, 10:29:14 AM10/27/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #31 on issue 847 by john.kmiecik: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Folks, everyone knows that this is insulting/annoying/aggravating etc. We
don't really need to spam the issue
repeatedly about just that bit.

The 'fix' by the Mailplane crew worked for me in Google Mail but it doesn't
work for Google Docs. I didn't test
any other Google apps, as Docs is the one I really needed to function.
Thought I'd pass that on to anyone
wanting to give that a try.

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 1, 2009, 6:28:33 PM11/1/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #32 on issue 847 by silvio.sousacabral: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow
Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

I would like to know what Google is doing to solve this issue. Gears is a
important
plugin to a lot of people, especially because of Google Services like the
Offline
versions of Gmail, Docs and Reader.

Users of Safari on Snow Leopard also cannot use the “My Location” feature
on Google
Maps, the “drag-and-drop” of content from the desktop inside a Wave in
Google
Wave, and so on. Why Google is not letting us know when we’ll be able to
get a
version of Gears that work on Safari 4 for Snow Leopard?

If Gears can be converted into the 64-bit environment, at least try to
provide
alternatives to it. Safari has the HTML 5 specs for App Cache and Database:
is not
possible to adapt the Offline web apps to use this technology natively?

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 1, 2009, 11:00:09 PM11/1/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #33 on issue 847 by woody.gilk: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

"If Gears can be converted into the 64-bit environment..."

This is simply not the case, as Mailplane is already building a 64-bit
version of Gears. The lack of progress, or
even response, from Google on this issue is very, very strange.

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 1, 2009, 11:08:13 PM11/1/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #34 on issue 847 by lem...@gmail.com: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow
Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

"Mailplane is already building a 64-bit version of Gears."

Really? Their site says you need to do things like "restart Mailplane
2.1-beta or any other 32bit Browser like
Fluid," and select Safari's "Open in 32-bit mode."

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 1, 2009, 11:12:24 PM11/1/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #35 on issue 847 by woody.gilk: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

My apologies, Mailplane is not providing a 64-bit version of Gears, but
there are several user-built 64-bit
versions of Gears floating around the web.

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 9, 2009, 7:21:39 PM11/9/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #36 on issue 847 by HMHackMaster: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Is there any word of a official 64bit version of Gears coming down the pipe
establish compatibility with Snow Leopard? I am astonished this is not a
higher
priority issue and/or that no progress has been made!
I was pulling the trigger on a large Google Apps deployment when we ran
into this
issue! Firefox usage is a workaround but not a fix!

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 10, 2009, 4:39:13 AM11/10/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #37 on issue 847 by openmokoinc: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Does Google even read (care about) this thread?!

I'm yet another Google Apps user suffering from this problem.

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 10, 2009, 4:43:20 AM11/10/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #38 on issue 847 by stephanuebelhoer: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow
Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

I am wondering what the great deal is here. Google simply appears to not be
interested. I wonder why... Well.
Enemy number one being Microsoft, of course development first goes into
that platform.

Some people said there are some user-built 64-bit versions of Gears around
on the web. Any experience with
that? As far as Mailplane / Fluid versions concern, as I understood, these
are not 64-bit because Mailplane /
Fluid both are not 64-bit applicatoins but rather modified 32-bit versions.

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 10, 2009, 8:42:26 AM11/10/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #39 on issue 847 by john.kmiecik: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Man I sure do love "me too!" posts.

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 11, 2009, 3:33:24 AM11/11/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #40 on issue 847 by eris.discord: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Why has nobody suggested using SIMBL? I notice it was mentioned in passing
as one project that survived the
death of InputManagers, but instead of duplicating their solution (and
having yet another daemon running in the
background to do the same thing), I suggest reworking Gears for Safari as a
SIMBL plugin. It may be the case
that nothing even needs to be changed, provided it compiles and functions
correctly as a 64-bit binary.

In fact, tomorrow I am going to have a go at it. Checking out the source as
we speak.

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 14, 2009, 4:57:10 PM11/14/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #41 on issue 847 by relen.drkhmr: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

It is annoying that 1password solved this problem over two months ago[1]
and google's team has not done
anything to fix it. SIMBL's implementation uses this approach. I would love
to help in the effort to get this
working but I have neither the experience or the time. Google Gears has
become rather important with the
introduction of Wave, and with an official version of Chrome lacking, it
would be nice if 64-bit Safari 4 were
supported.

[1]:
http://kevin.sb.org/2009/09/02/1password-extension-loading-in-snow-leopard/

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 16, 2009, 1:58:49 PM11/16/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #42 on issue 847 by wfoster: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard] Gears
not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Why is this still Medium? This makes drag and drop for google wave unusable
in OSX.

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 16, 2009, 2:10:24 PM11/16/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #43 on issue 847 by silvio.sousacabral: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow
Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

"Why is this still Medium? This makes drag and drop for Google wave
unusable in OS X."

And not just that: You cannot drag waves from the main panel to folders on
the
sidebar as well. Instead of drag the Wave, Safari selects the text on the
item who
represents it. This is very weird compared to the behavior of other
browsers.

But we're not here to talk Wave only, we're here to talk about Gears. And I
can't
believe that nobody on Google can respond this thread with some explanation
about the
progress of the 64-bit compatible version for the Safari 4 on Mac.

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 16, 2009, 2:26:46 PM11/16/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #44 on issue 847 by aptivapeople: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Stupid Google just wants to force us to Chrome when it comes out next
month....

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 18, 2009, 9:56:55 AM11/18/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #45 on issue 847 by opti...@gmail.com: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow
Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

One more complaint....
Either you guys port this to Snow Leopard or People will start relying on
HTML5 DB's
on WebKit and Gecko based browsers to develop web-apps as Gears is clearly
not
working at all on Snow Leopard ( Mail Plane thing is a dumb-fix and shall
not even be
considered ). **MILLIONS** of Mac Users around the world are being directly
affected
by this lack of consideration and people are suffering without any GMail
Offline, Docs
Offline, Advanced Wave features and a bunch of other features on services
that
Google and other people who used Gears for developing their web-apps are
offering.
Please reconsider the Priority of this bug based on the FACT that more than
80%
people already did the migration to Snow Leopard, and we're talking here of
the
whole Mac Users population which is a ever-growing platform.

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 18, 2009, 10:46:20 AM11/18/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #46 on issue 847 by eris.discord: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Well, I never did get Gears to build. Didn't feel like tracking down a
thousand (literally a thousand) compiler
errors and a bunch of missing source files to maybe get it running. After
looking at what the InputManager is
doing, though, I am convinced that it would work perfectly fine as a SIMBL
plugin if only I could get it to build.

Anyway, I'm unwatching this issue. My inbox is getting flooded with a lot
of self-important whining. I thought
Linden Labs had it bad. People, verbally abusing Google's employees isn't
going to get you shit.

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 18, 2009, 11:55:57 AM11/18/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #47 on issue 847 by ife...@google.com: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow
Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

@45: We are not supporting gears on Snow Leopard and later versions of Mac
OS X.
Relying on HTML5 database and appcache going forward is a good approach as a
replacement for Gears on these platforms.

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 18, 2009, 12:07:30 PM11/18/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #48 on issue 847 by opti...@gmail.com: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow
Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

@47: Are there any comments from Google Docs Team and Wave Team about
supporting HTML5 + appcache
instead of using Gears ? at least for the Mac environment ?

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 18, 2009, 1:20:01 PM11/18/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #49 on issue 847 by paulwmorris: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

@47: Are you speaking for Google? (as indicated by your @google.com email
address?)

If so, do you mean that gears is not supported on *Snow Leopard*, or just
not
supported for *64-bit Safari 4* on Snow Leopard? In other words, can I
expect
support for using gears (for offline Gmail) with Firefox (or Mozilla Prism)
on Snow
Leopard?

Do you mean to say that *Google* is relying on HTML5 database and appcache
going
forward (as a replacement for gears in offline Gmail, Wave, G-Docs etc)?
Or are you
saying that *other* developers should use these instead of gears?

Thanks in advance for clarification, it has been frustrating waiting for a
response
from Google on this.

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 23, 2009, 3:52:19 PM11/23/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #50 on issue 847 by amalkin11: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Something that hasn't come up yet that I think is a big deal…Gears doesn't
work for
CHROME either on 10.6! I do not know if this is because of Chrome's
pre-release status,
but I'm running the latest dev build and it still does not work!

I couldn't care less about Safari not working, it's buggy anyways. CHROME,
however,
needs to be compatible with Gears in 10.6.

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 24, 2009, 6:11:00 PM11/24/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #51 on issue 847 by Immutate: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard] Gears
not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

@47: Are there any plans to update the Google Gears homepage, as it is
currently misleading. At the moment the
system requirements are listed as "Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.3+ or Tiger
10.4.11+, G4+/Intel CPU" and "Gears is
available for Windows, Windows Mobile (IE Mobile, Opera Mobile), Mac
(Firefox, Safari), Linux and Android.",
which is clearly incorrect as this defect as yet to be addressed, and Gears
does not have support for Safari or
Snow Leopard.

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 25, 2009, 12:32:32 PM11/25/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #52 on issue 847 by marc...@marcelocarlos.com: [Mac] [Safari 4]
[Snow Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

This issue must be fixed asap !
I had been using gears a lot, and since I upgraded to snow leopard
everything
stopped work. I'm starting to consider to use thunderbird as mail client,
mas there
are a lot of other applications which use gears, like google docs,
calendar, etc.

Please consider this issue as extremely high priority !!! It's unacceptable
an important
issued like this one without its deserved attention. More than 2 months
without a fix
!!!!

Snow Leopard 10.6.2
Chromium build: 4.0.257.0 (33059)
Version 4.0.4 (6531.21.10)

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 25, 2009, 1:38:57 PM11/25/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #53 on issue 847 by miken32: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard] Gears
not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

@47 Does this mean that Google will be moving towards standards-based
offline storage and geolocation
instead of their proprietary Gears stuff? I hope so, and I hope that this
happens sooner rather than later, as I'd
like to be able to use these features on your sites...

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 27, 2009, 10:01:57 AM11/27/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #54 on issue 847 by simonmd: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard] Gears
not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

I can't imagine how this would be a 'medium' priority issue.

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 29, 2009, 11:29:50 PM11/29/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #55 on issue 847 by caio.gondim: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Please, raise the priority.

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 30, 2009, 2:23:46 AM11/30/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #56 on issue 847 by branstrom: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Please raise the priority. We're all moving to Snow Leopard.

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 30, 2009, 2:40:02 AM11/30/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #57 on issue 847 by augustlilleaas: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Attention!

The severity of an issue is measured by how many people that have starred
it. Whenever you post a comment
here, an e-mail is sent to all the starrers. Many people will un-starr
issues that gets a lot of comments. This
is especially true when all the comments are about how severe the issue is.
The starrers already agree with
you about the severity, because they have starred it. This makes posting
comments about severity counter
productive: Google won't read it, starrers will, and your comment is more
likely to cause people to un-starr it
than it is making Google prioritize the issue.

So please, let this be the last comment for a while. Just starr the issue,
and hope for the best. Pointing out the
severity in comments is pointless.

ge...@googlecode.com

Nov 30, 2009, 6:07:58 PM11/30/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #58 on issue 847 by paulwmorris: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Thought I'd post this bit of info from this article:
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/11/30/chrome-for-mac-features/

"Gears, which allows for offline web app functionality, is completely off
the table
as a Chrome for Mac feature right now, according to project lead Mike
Pinkerton (he
actually noted this back in July). Apparently, Google plans to push ahead
with full
HTML5 support rather than rely on Gears, at least on the Mac."

So it looks like Google is switching to HTML5 rather than gears for present
and
future mac development, hence the delay.

ge...@googlecode.com

Dec 1, 2009, 9:23:48 AM12/1/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #59 on issue 847 by Immutate: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard] Gears
not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

@57 I believe you are misinformed as to how Project Hosting works on Google
Code,
please see this support page for more information on the issue life-cycle
and
priority labeling.
http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/IssueTracker#Concepts The
priority of an issue is an editable label, and is not automatically
assigned based on
how many people have starred the issue--unless that is the manual process
which the
google gears folks have said they follow.

IMHO the only reason this is a Priority-Medium issue, is the fact that
people haven't
publicized the issue much. The reality appears to be that google could care
less
about their mac users, based on how much attention they appear to have
given this
issue. I've loved using google products for years, but to simply drop
support for
something in this fashion certainly makes me want to research other
products in case
google decides to drop support for other features/applications in project
hosting or
google apps.

ge...@googlecode.com

Dec 1, 2009, 9:52:30 AM12/1/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #60 on issue 847 by mkonomos: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard] Gears
not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

@59, I think that 58 seems to have answered the big question for us, if his
answer is indeed correct. Basically,
Google isn't ditching us. But they aren't going to waste time on Gears for
Mac because they are basically
'leapfrogging' to HTML 5 instead. As much as it stinks for us as Mac users,
it doesn't make much sense for them
to continue developing a technology that was only a temporary fix anyway
and apparently is becoming obsolete.
So, as is often unfortunately the case for Mac users, we must have some
patience. Making our voice heard isn't
going to get us Gears anytime soon because they aren't going to do it. But
if this gets some attention, perhaps
they will do what they can to speed along the HTML 5 solution.

ge...@googlecode.com

Dec 1, 2009, 10:07:44 AM12/1/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #61 on issue 847 by augustlilleaas: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

@59: I am not misinformed, but I can see why you thought I was. I were
speaking in terms of conventions,
though - most project owners uses the number of stars on an issue to
determine what should be deemed
important.

As @58 points out, it seems that the reason for the severity isn't that
Google doesn't care about Mac, it's
because Google doesn't care about gears, to put it bluntly. Here's another
link referencing the same source on
google going towards HTML5 instead of Gears.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2009/11/google-gears.html

ge...@googlecode.com

Dec 1, 2009, 10:23:22 AM12/1/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #62 on issue 847 by johannes.stuehler: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow
Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Longterm wise it surely makes sense to go this way for Google as well as
for the user, but still, the way Google
handles this issue is not the finest way.
I hope there is something in the pipeline since the iPhone version of GMail
is already making full use of HTML5
and offline storage. As a bad interim solution one can set the Safari User
Agent to Mobile Safari to test and
maybe use this feature once in a while...
It is really weird that the full client lacks behind the iPhone version
somehow.

ge...@googlecode.com

Dec 1, 2009, 11:18:17 AM12/1/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #63 on issue 847 by Immutate: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard] Gears
not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

@60: I'm certainly glad to hear that google is moving towards the new HTML
5 standard, and hope that the project moves
quickly. Snow Leopard has been GA for more than 3 months now, and we've
only just been informed what direction google is
moving toward in regards to gears in Snow Leopard/Safari. Combine that with
the developer preview of Snow Leopard which has
been available since June, I would have assumed development would be
further along, or we'd at least have been told of this
sooner. Here's hoping we can get some traction on google apps offline
functionality, regardless of the technology used to re-
implement the feature.

@61: That would be the manual process I wasn't sure about ;) I really wish
google would mark this defect's status as WontFix
and update the gears homepage to accurately represent their stance. It
seems as though this defect and all of the other
gears/Snow Leopard issues that have been filed are simply being ignored.

ge...@googlecode.com

Dec 3, 2009, 3:04:31 AM12/3/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #64 on issue 847 by grahamperrin: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Maybe exemplary: Saft extends Safari in any one of three ways,
only one of which is limited to 32-bit. Screen shot at
http://www.wuala.com/grahamperrin/public/2009/12/02/a/001.png

The embrace of HTML 5 is welcomed.

Parallel to that: if any developer is inclined to progress this issue 847,
use of SIMBL may be most appropriate.

http://www.culater.net/software/SIMBL/SIMBL.php

ge...@googlecode.com

Dec 4, 2009, 6:34:44 PM12/4/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #65 on issue 847 by lem...@gmail.com: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow
Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Folks, take a hint from Issue 335, and use the issue tracker to share
workarounds, or patches. If your comment doesn't
substantively help solve this issue, it doesn't belong here. This project
has a mailing list, and that's the proper place for your hopes,
your fears, your burning questions, and your idle ruminations.

It might seem counter-intuitive, but adding unproductive comments actually
makes it less likely that this issue will be fixed. This is
an open-source project. Yes, the committers are Googlers, but there's
nothing stopping you from checking out the code and trying
to fix this issue. In fact, someone started to do just that @40, but left
@46 because of your "self-important whining." With the Gears
Team seemingly focused on Windows-related issues, it's all the more
important that issues like this one be attractive for outside
developers to solve.

In the spirit of taking my own advice, I checked out the source and tried
to build it. I agree with the earlier comments @40, @41,
@46, and @64. Scripting Additions are the new Input Manager, and it's the
way to go for injecting code into 64-bit processes.
Before I even started looking at the Input Manager code, however, I tried
using Xcode to build the project. It didn't work, so I
updated the Xcode project and submitted a patch in Issue 984.

ge...@googlecode.com

Dec 12, 2009, 4:00:25 PM12/12/09
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #66 on issue 847 by eslerj: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard] Gears
not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

It seems much more likely that the team that would fix this is more
dedicated thr chrome osx browser,
which, once GA, should have gears as part of it natively.

ge...@googlecode.com

Jan 21, 2010, 1:12:59 PM1/21/10
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #67 on issue 847 by Giambroni07: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

I would love to see this work for chrome and safari! Please, please raise
the priority!

ge...@googlecode.com

Feb 10, 2010, 7:00:58 PM2/10/10
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #68 on issue 847 by Yehudi77: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard] Gears
not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

gears wont run on mac 10.6 .... biggggg!!!! problem please raise priority
thanks !!

ge...@googlecode.com

Feb 10, 2010, 7:05:03 PM2/10/10
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #69 on issue 847 by Yury.Korolev: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

forget about gears! It is crutch for bad browsers. Do not support it, like
google doesn't
support others.

ge...@googlecode.com

Feb 11, 2010, 5:58:05 AM2/11/10
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #70 on issue 847 by lypanov: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard] Gears
not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

(not part of google).

The reason this is not done is because its a huge amount of work, that
would be wasted
anyway the second that gmail etc moves over to using HTML5 for offline
support.

So, the real question is, when will gmail support offline via HTML5?

ge...@googlecode.com

Feb 14, 2010, 11:13:13 PM2/14/10
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #71 on issue 847 by jcavins: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard] Gears
not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

The more creative Google gets with their gmail the more we are going to see
Apple Mail people switch over,
particularly with the growth of smart phones. The issue of accessing your
email when offline is very very
important and could be the single issue that makes or breaks Mailplane for
these customers. I was under the
impression that offline access to email was not only easy but one of the
major selling points of Mailplane.

ge...@googlecode.com

Feb 17, 2010, 5:00:22 PM2/17/10
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #72 on issue 847 by don.zooma: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Support on Chrome for Snow Leopard :-)

ge...@googlecode.com

Feb 17, 2010, 11:53:53 PM2/17/10
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #73 on issue 847 by benzi.shmueli: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

I just updated by browser but still do not have offline gmail support/other
gears
features on my Snow Leopard machine.

ge...@googlecode.com

Feb 18, 2010, 3:22:26 PM2/18/10
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #74 on issue 847 by ericabes: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard] Gears
not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

I was forced to upgrade to Snow Leopard because I had to buy a new MAC. Now
I cannot
use google docs offline. Maybe if we organize a boycott of google entirely
for everyone
who relies on offline access for school ro work google would take notice if
their ad
revenue drops.

ge...@googlecode.com

Apr 11, 2010, 8:17:44 PM4/11/10
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #75 on issue 847 by adwo...@novawhite.com: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow
Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Yea, please fix this.. I'm experiencing the same issues with Snow Leopard
and newest Safari

ge...@googlecode.com

Jun 28, 2010, 12:10:32 AM6/28/10
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #76 on issue 847 by qingpeng: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard] Gears
not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

quickly!!!!

ge...@googlecode.com

Sep 15, 2010, 3:35:25 PM9/15/10
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #77 on issue 847 by ohmantics: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow Leopard]
Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Atlassian Confluence relies on Gears.

ge...@googlecode.com

May 5, 2011, 10:26:23 PM5/5/11
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #78 on issue 847 by guy.gree...@gmail.com: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow
Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Seems strange this isn't resolved yet. It's become core functionality for
me and many others. Bad user experience.

ge...@googlecode.com

Jul 2, 2011, 4:41:39 AM7/2/11
to gear...@googlegroups.com

Comment #79 on issue 847 by rkr1...@gmail.com: [Mac] [Safari 4] [Snow
Leopard] Gears not working Safari 4 - Snow Leopard
http://code.google.com/p/gears/issues/detail?id=847

Yeah, 'tis kinda sad. type: defect, priority: medium, for two years now.
And not a word, as the (Polish) proverbial saying goes "neither 'we're
sorry', nor 'f* you'".

"... we continue to talk to Apple about the issue", Aug, 2009. That's one
long talk.
Wait, I take that back. We got our "f* you' after all ;)