Wassup community? 1.1.20 coming soon

Clint Byrum

Jun 3, 2022, 1:28:27 AM6/3/22
to gea...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks. It's been a while since 1.1.19.1 was released and tons of little improvements have landed since then. I've been dealing with a whole host of things lately, from burnout at work, to moving to a new dev laptop, to having COVID this past weekend, so I appreciate everyones' patience while I get things in order for a 1.1.20 release.

In the meantime, I'll invite everyone, again, to come say hi in our Matrix chat room:

And also to consider trying out rustygear:

I'm dying to know if it could meet your Gearman needs, as I'm quite a bit more inclined to spend my dev cycles on it than the C/C++ gearmand/libgearman.

Cheers, I'll email again soon when 1.1.20 is ready.

Edward J. Sabol

Jun 3, 2022, 5:27:54 PM6/3/22
to 'Clint Byrum' via Gearman
On Jun 3, 2022, at 1:28 AM, 'Clint Byrum' via Gearman <gea...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> Hi folks. It's been a while since 1.1.19.1 was released and tons of little improvements have landed since then. I've been dealing with a whole host of things lately, from burnout at work, to moving to a new dev laptop, to having COVID this past weekend, so I appreciate everyones' patience while I get things in order for a 1.1.20 release.

I concur. I think we're in a good place for a new release. If you want to avoid what happened with the 1.1.19 release, feel free to send me a pre-release tarball, and I'll give it a quick once over before you release it.

This might be a good time to thoroughly document the release process. Long term, it would nice to have a GitHub Actions workflow for cutting a new release quasi-automatically, imho.

> And also to consider trying out rustygear:
>
> https://github.com/SpamapS/rustygear
>
> I'm dying to know if it could meet your Gearman needs, as I'm quite a bit more inclined to spend my dev cycles on it than the C/C++ gearmand/libgearman.

Still no SSL support in rustygear, apparently, so no.

I'd still like to see a quantified comparison with respect to performance (jobs throughput, etc.).

Later,
Ed

Clint Byrum

Jun 4, 2022, 1:25:48 AM6/4/22
to gea...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jun 3, 2022 at 2:27 PM Edward J. Sabol <edward...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Jun 3, 2022, at 1:28 AM, 'Clint Byrum' via Gearman <gea...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> Hi folks. It's been a while since 1.1.19.1 was released and tons of little improvements have landed since then. I've been dealing with a whole host of things lately, from burnout at work, to moving to a new dev laptop, to having COVID this past weekend, so I appreciate everyones' patience while I get things in order for a 1.1.20 release.

I concur. I think we're in a good place for a new release. If you want to avoid what happened with the 1.1.19 release, feel free to send me a pre-release tarball, and I'll give it a quick once over before you release it.

Good idea.

This might be a good time to thoroughly document the release process. Long term, it would nice to have a GitHub Actions workflow for cutting a new release quasi-automatically, imho.

Yeah, I like that. Will see if I can at least get it into a PR before doing it.

> And also to consider trying out rustygear:
>
> https://github.com/SpamapS/rustygear
>
> I'm dying to know if it could meet your Gearman needs, as I'm quite a bit more inclined to spend my dev cycles on it than the C/C++ gearmand/libgearman.

Still no SSL support in rustygear, apparently, so no.

Indeed, that is high on my list!

I'd still like to see a quantified comparison with respect to performance (jobs throughput, etc.).

I did some tests a bit ago and they are very close. I can add some scripts to repeat them.

Later,
Ed

Clint Byrum

Jul 16, 2022, 3:28:40 PM7/16/22
to gea...@googlegroups.com
FYI, apologies for this taking so long. I've had some construction at my house and embarrassingly, haven't been able to access my PGP keys since February as they are on a laptop that is under a pile of displaced stuff. Construction is finally done and I am digging out the pile this week.  Hopefully we'll have a 1.1.20 soon.