scaling: plugins, monitors, etc

Steve Hotz

Sep 3, 2015, 4:15:59 PM9/3/15
to gdnsd
Hi,

Anyone willing/able to share info about how large/complex you configurations are?

Are you running gdnsd on behalf of many customer websites, for example?

I'm recommending we use gdnsd for provide various services for our clients, and wanted to get a feel for if/when a large configuration starts to bog down a server.

It feels like GeoIP is most likely to be a scaling issue (if we were to create many maps for diverse groups of data centers), but otherwise it seems like it scaling should be reasonable.  Any surprises coming my way?

cheers (& thanks),

hotz

Kevin Smith

Sep 3, 2015, 11:05:54 PM9/3/15
to gdnsd
In my experience, gdnsd scales reasonably well.  My set of four gdnsd servers resolve around 80 domains to 8 geographically diverse locations with a considerable number of resolutions per second.  It's reliably responsive, and I can't recall having any issues specifically with the service.  This is nowhere near large/complex, but thought I'd share my experience.  About how large of a configuration were you thinking?

Steve Hotz

Sep 4, 2015, 12:05:36 AM9/4/15
to gdnsd
Hi,

Yes, I assumed the queries/sec would scale reasonably.

I was wondering how many separate websites could be supported (each with their own monitoring requirements, for example)?

Can we support 100 different websites, each running 2-4 data centers -- let's call it 300 VIPs/servers to monitor (assume that each customer requires a separate monitoring configuration to specify the virtual host to monitor).

If we can support/monitor 100 ... can we monitor 200 ... 400 with a single set of gDNSd servers?  At what point do we need to divide and conquer?

 ... to clarify, we aren't supporting this many customers yet.  We have customers asking for these features, and I have made the case the gDNSd is a reasonable platform, as it provides much of the functionality that is needed.  But I'm trying to get comfortable that we won't have to change platforms in a year.

cheers,
hotz