gdnsd 1.11.4 released

blblack

Jul 21, 2014, 2:57:00 PM7/21/14
to gd...@googlegroups.com

Release announce here: http://gdnsd.org/2014/07/18/version-1.11.4-released.html

Notably, this contains a bugfix for a pretty serious functionality problem: gdnsd has been serving incorrect negative-cache TTLs in all past versions, due to my misreading the relevant RFCs.  Effectively the served negative cache TTL has been the primary TTL of the SOA record itself up until this fix.  It's the sort of thing you don't notice until you make a horrible mistake in your production DNS data and you're hoping the low negative-cache TTL you configured will save you, and it doesn't do so.  I'd recommend anyone on previous versions please upgrade to avoid running into this like I did.

gdnsd 2.0.0 is still "coming soon", hopefully even sooner than ever before.  I'm still working through some docs updates (mostly what's missing now is docs for the admin_state and djbdns functionality, and documenting the plugin API changes) and review.  Feel free to try out the master branch if you're comfortable building from git.  I will probably tag and release a 2.0.0rc1 (which distros shouldn't pick up) in the next couple of weeks when things look fairly final, so that those working from tarballs have something to test before the real 2.0.0 release and maybe we can catch a few bugs early.

-- Brandon