Fw: [Blind Ambitions Groups] ACB Speaks to the Justice Department

george bybee

Mar 18, 2011, 12:00:52 PM3/18/11
to big-happ...@raineemusic.com, GDBTex...@googlegroups.com, Carrie Hill

----- Original Message -----
From: "ms gilkerson" <gilker...@sbcglobal.net>
To: <blind-chris...@yahoogroups.com>; "Blind Ambitions Groups"
<BlindAmbit...@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2011 6:51 AM
Subject: [Blind Ambitions Groups] ACB Speaks to the Justice Department

> [...]
>
> The department should clarify that audio description is an auxiliary aid
> and service which assures effective communication. It is not a fundamental
> alteration
> of a theater's service and should be acknowledged in the regulations.
>
> Let me comment here that the term "video description" is wholly
> inappropriate given that since 1981, the generic phrase referencing the
> use of language
> to provide access to visual images has been "audio description." It is
> essential that the department adopt audio description as the only
> appropriate term
> to describe this method of effective communication.
>
> ACB believes that DOJ should unequivocally state that the accessibility of
> equipment is an inherent component of making programs, activities and
> places
> of public accommodation accessible. We are convinced that people with
> disabilities have waited long enough for a clear statement by the
> department that
> there is an affirmative obligation to assure that equipment used to
> provide access to programs and services under Title II and equipment being
> employed
> in places of public accommodation under Title III must, within the
> constraints contained in both titles, be accessible.
>
> Further, since virtually every piece of equipment today makes use of
> computers or is directly connected to the Internet or accessed wirelessly
> or via remote
> control, we must move beyond looking at equipment in a "stand-alone"
> context. The accessibility of computers, whether in home appliances or
> public kiosks,
> must be a basic consideration in any regulations developed for equipment
> accessibility. It is no longer appropriate to see the regulation of
> equipment,
> the web and audio description as separate endeavors. All three of the
> ANPRM's of particular interest to blind and visually impaired people
> overlap. It
> is time that the department consider adoption of general principles that
> clearly articulate the convergence which the computer chip has created.
>
> In conclusion, the Department of Justice must take this opportunity to
> absolutely articulate that there is a categorical requirement for
> equipment accessibility
> which applies equally to state and local governments and to places of
> public accommodation. The department must champion principles of universal
> design
> which will, within a reasonable time frame, require Title II and III
> entities to acquire equipment that is accessible. ACB is certain that if
> the Department
> of Justice adopts this unequivocal general principle, we will get to a
> place where equipment accessibility will assume the place it should as a
> civil right
> for all people with disabilities. Thank you.

Marilyn Bland

Mar 18, 2011, 12:34:11 PM3/18/11
to gdbtex...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

Hope all are well. We have had very little mail over the last while. What's
news out there? I'm thankful it's getting warmer - I hate the cold - so
these in-between days are fabulous.

Take care all. I'm taking Poko to have her nails clipped soon. Pats and
scratches behind the ears to all our marvelous guides.

Marilyn and Poko.