IntenseDebate, buddypress, and dev4press

Jim

Jul 5, 2010, 2:34:48 AM7/5/10
to gd-star-rating
I know Dev4Press has a huge amount on its plate. But as you consider
developing a Buddypress theme and enhancing your theme framework more
generally, I hope you will keep the simplicity, elegance, and power of
Automatic's IntenseDebate plugin in mind. For example, IntenseDebate
has certain cross-site functionality, such as a simple user reputation
framework, that you might want to study. I don't care about
reputation building across platforms (e.g., Drupal and Wordpress), but
I care a lot about reputation building across blogs, groups, forums,
etc. within a single Wordpress 3.0/Buddypress website.

(As an aside, it would also be nice to include wiki reputation
building, but that's probably for the distant future. For an example
of wiki integration in Buddypress, see the CUNY demo on the Buddypress
website. In particular, creating a MediaWiki extension/plugin to
integrate with Wordpress users and reputations would be a great
enhancement to the Wordpress/Buddypress platform. Somebody created an
extension to integrate MediaWiki and Facebook users a few years ago,
but the extension wasn't maintained.)

Your plugins already have an abundance of features, but they can be
overwhelming for mere mortals. Perhaps you could develop simple
templates for key functionality such as developing user reputations.
IntenseDebate, for example, is based on a simple thumbs up/down
approach (with an option to turn off the thumbs down). So you might
develop a simple but well-integrated template for a thumbs up/down
version of your theme combined with a default sitewide reputation
building system.

In any case, I look forward to anything you can do to create an
enhanced Buddypress theme. I saw your June 28 post and know that you
are aware of both the opportunities and problems associated with
creating such a theme.

Best,

--Jim Snider

MillaN

Jul 8, 2010, 4:45:57 AM7/8/10
to gd-star-rating
Hi,

At this point I grew frustrated with BuddyPress theme. No wonder that
most BP themes available are only child themes of default one with
only stying changed. Theming in BP is awful, and the way it looks
right now there is no way to have a single theme to work as WP only
and with BP.

One of the major changes that GDSR 2.0 will bring is better themes
integration, allowing themes to use different templates made for them
specifically. With everything else new GDSR will bring, major point in
all that is deep integration with BuddyPress and focus on the users
and their ratings in the network run my WP multisite installation.
Also, interface will be simpler, there will be less basic template
types (from 50 it will go down to maybe 20), there will be still a lot
of options and settings, but it will be organized much better and will
not focus on options that most users don't need in the first place.

Regards,
Milan

Jim

Jul 10, 2010, 11:16:59 AM7/10/10
to gd-star-rating
For what it's worth, you might be interested in the Buddypress
community discussion concerning the integration of MediaWiki into
Buddypress. See
http://buddypress.org/community/groups/third-party-components-plugins/forum/topic/mediawiki-edits-bp-activity-streams/

It appears that two Buddypress websites have already done this type of
integration for logins: CUNY and Chembook, both of which are featured
on the Buddypress examples page. It seems that the CUNY programmer
also created a plugin to integrate Mediawiki activity streams with
Buddypress, then abandoned the effort (although it's still listed as a
MediaWiki extension).

I recognize that all this is rather far afield from your immediate
objectives to get GDSR 2.0 out the door and get your business
successfully launched. Nevertheless, I hope you will keep wiki
integration in the back of your head. Meanwhile, I'm very excited to
hear that Buddypress integration, although a pain, is one of your
priorities. I'm also pleased to hear that you're striving for more
Apple-like simplicity in your user interface. To the extent that you
can create many features but hide the complexity under the hood, I
think you'll expand your user base.

I'm eagerly awaiting your integration with Buddypress.

--Jim

Jim

Jul 10, 2010, 11:48:42 AM7/10/10
to gd-star-rating
One more idea. Just about every federal agency since the Obama
administration took office has used ideascale (see http://www.ideascale.com/tour/)
to solicit ideas from the U.S. public. For an example of one of the
most recent applications, see the National Archives and Records
Administration's application at http://archivesgovredesign.ideascale.com/.
Ideascale is basically an ideas ratings system and thus a simplified
version of GDSR. If you could copy the six tab ratings heading for an
ideascale application (especially these three: recent, popular, hot),
you'd have the key functionality ideascale offers. I think why
companies, organizations, and governments are using ideascale is
because its interface is so simple. If you could create a "community
idea rater" template, I think you'd have a viable substitute for
Ideascale within the Wordpress community.

--Jim

Jim

Jul 10, 2010, 10:14:02 PM7/10/10
to gd-star-rating
I wrote up my various observations about Buddypress vs. the
competition at:
http://buddypress.org/community/groups/drupal-commons-vs-buddypress/forum/.

--Jim

On Jul 10, 11:48 am, Jim <sni...@isolon.org> wrote:
> One more idea.  Just about every federal agency since the Obama
> administration took office has used ideascale (seehttp://www.ideascale.com/tour/)
> to solicit ideas from the U.S. public.  For an example of one of the
> most recent applications, see the National Archives and Records
> Administration's application athttp://archivesgovredesign.ideascale.com/.

MillaN

Jul 11, 2010, 5:34:50 AM7/11/10
to gd-star-rating
Hopefully I will manage to make GDSR 2.0 to be very modular. Right now
many elements are too rigid and connected to old structure of WP, this
time all that is gone. Really bad thing right now is that I have very
little free time for the plugin.

I will check Buddypress page you linked. It's good to have strong
competition and platforms like Drupal will hopefully help BP to get
even better.

Milan