Different PART ID format for different "types"

Alan Williams

Oct 19, 2015, 7:57:14 AM10/19/15
to gd-ice
Hello everybody,

I was wondering if consideration had been given to having different PART ID formats for different types (Plasmids, Parts and Strains). At the moment they are all PREFIX SEPARATOR NUMBER. For the project I am involved in, it may make more sense to have PREFIX TYPE NUMBER where TYPE is a two letter abbreviation.

If I were to change our ICE to support this, can anyone say how much work it would be?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Michal Galdzicki

Oct 19, 2015, 1:10:57 PM10/19/15
to gd-...@googlegroups.com
+1 Support, very in favor of this idea!

For example, it would be awesome to have TYPE NUMBER where TYPE is a single letter abbreviation.
But, I would use PREFIX TYPE NUMBER where TYPE is a two letter abbreviation if that was made available sooner
mike

--

---

Hector Plahar

Oct 19, 2015, 1:42:38 PM10/19/15
to gd-...@googlegroups.com
If you have a customized ICE instance, hardcoding support for this will not be too difficult. The code that creates the part number is in EntryDAO.java::create(Entry entry)

Changing line 418:
String partNumberPrefix = EntryUtil.getPartNumberPrefix();
To something like:
String partNumberPrefix = Utils.getConfigValue(ConfigurationKey.PART_NUMBER_PREFIX) + entry.getRecordType().substring(0, 2);

Will give you the format PREFIX TYPE NUMBER (adjusting as necessary to add underscores etc to make it more readable). I have filed a ticket on github and will integrate the suggestion into ICE but that may take a bit more time.

Hector

Michal Galdzicki

Oct 19, 2015, 1:48:08 PM10/19/15
to gd-...@googlegroups.com
thanks!
that i can do
mike

alaninmcr

Oct 21, 2015, 10:03:34 AM10/21/15
to gd-...@googlegroups.com
On 19/10/2015 18:48, Michal Galdzicki wrote:
> thanks!
> that i can do

That would be great. Thanks

> mike