bugs in Administrator functions

Tim Rudge

Apr 6, 2014, 1:13:39 PM4/6/14
to gd-...@googlegroups.com, Jim Haseloff
Hi there,

We are in the process of setting up a new registry. I downloaded the gd-ice-3.7.1.war file, unpacked and edited hibernate.cfg.xml to match our postgresql database setup. This seems to work ok, I can create users, login as a user and create an entry, upload a genbank file. However there are a couple of issues:

Fairly minor problems:
1. When creating a user, the dialog asks for a userid but then uses this as the user email. Hence at first I created users with non-functional emails, and...
2. Administrator cannot delete user accounts, so we are stuck with these non-working user accounts.
3. My standard user account sees an "Admin" button (it doesn't do anything though).

Major problem:
1. After logging in as a standard user, creating a plasmid entry and then logging out, when I log in as Administrator I no longer see the "Admin" button - I now have no way to administer the registry.
2. My standard user also no longer sees the "Admin" button, so it seems to be a GUI problem?

This is running on a Debian server with apache2, tomcat6, and postgresql8.4. There doesn't appear to be anything written to catalina.out or other tomcat logs during the above tests. I tried restarting tomcat, but the Admin button is still missing.

Is there a log file written by the webapp? If so where is it? I seem to remember in version 2.x there was a log directory specified in jbeir.properties, but this is not in the current Admin options.

Thanks for your help.

best,
Tim

Tim Rudge

Apr 6, 2014, 1:24:39 PM4/6/14
to gd-...@googlegroups.com, Jim Haseloff
Update on missing Admin button:

Deleting cookies from firefox seems to fix this issue. I have not experienced (yet) this issue with other browsers, so may just be ff.

Tim

Hector Plahar

Apr 7, 2014, 1:02:35 PM4/7/14
to gd-...@googlegroups.com, Jim Haseloff
The "Admin" link issue is a GUI problem. When you log in as an administrator, log out and then log in to a user account without admin privs using the same browser instance, the admin link still shows up. (The inverse is also true). Refreshing the page usually clears this up.
The admin section is always available at https://your-ice-domain/#page=admin. Any user without admin privs who tries to access it will just be redirected to the main page.

The default location of the log file is /tmp/gd-ice.log. You can change it in logback.xml. The line

 <property name="LOG_PATH" value="/tmp"/>

is the folder location of the log file.

Thanks,
Hector.

--