Anyone else having trouble with the ICE search ?

Valentin Z

Oct 19, 2018, 1:39:31 PM10/19/18
to gd-ice
Hi everyone,

I just discovered this mailing list so let me first say thanks for the great project, it is very useful.

One of our main uses of ICE is part search. People from other groups may ask us "do you have a CMV promoter for my assembly standard ?" and we look it up in ICE

Our problem is that, very often, the ICE search is not helpful. Sometimes parts with exact matches in their names don't show up, or parts with a priori no relevance show up before more relevant parts. See below for a specific example.

The fact that we are unable to retrieve parts from our database if we have the name wrong by a single character is a real issue, is anyone else experiencing the same thing ? Is there a workaround or a configuration which avoids this ?

Thanks,

Valentin Zulkower
Software Manager
Edinburgh Genome Foundry

One specific example from today: searching for "CMV" returns the following 4 results:

p3_CMVp_Tet
p14_CMVp
p18_min-CMVp
p18_CMVp_Tet

However if I just add a "p" and search for "CMVp", or even with " *CMVp* " (with asterisks) some perfectly valid results disappear and I am left with  2 results:

p14_CMVp
p18_min-CMVp

Another example, I have a part called "p19_mneogreen3" in the database, but looking for "p19_mneogreen" (without the 3 at the end) returns no result at all.

I can't put my finger on is wrong, but fuzzy search in part names seems impossible

We are using ICE 5.4.17 (docker from the repo). I didn't get more luck using operators (like *. ~, etc.) or rebuilding the lucene index.