voxel significance vs whole brain pattern significance

ab698

Nov 24, 2008, 5:06:33 PM11/24/08
to GCVA
Hi Chris
I know we've had this conversation before but can you unpick the
following statement from the help manual for me

"Generally, if the loading of a voxel in a covariance pattern is
robustly positive ( > 2 on the ICV map), its activity in the brain is
localized and increases with task difficulty level. If the loading is
robustly negative ( < ‐2 on the ICV map), its activity is localized
and decreases with task difficulty. If the loading is not robust,
there is no localization at the voxel but the voxel could nonetheless
contribute to the overall covariance pattern across task levels in a
dispersive fashion in conjunction with other voxels within the
pattern."

When the bootstrapping finishes and there is a statement saying
'extrema on the current ICV map is -1.88 +1.78' what does that mean
exactly ? I understand that the maximum loading on some voxel within
the image is +1.78 but I'm not entirely sure how you get that
measure of exactly (amount of covariance with other voxels?) and
anyway why would we want a significance measure for a single voxel
since its the whole pattern we're interested in isn't it ?

Many thanks
Anna

Anna Barnes

Nov 25, 2008, 3:19:32 PM11/25/08
to Christian Habeck, gc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Chris.

The reason I ask is that it looks like I've got some interesting results for my genes and brain structure analysis but I'm not sure how to display them now.

Do I use the behavioural best fit images and no threshold at all but then show the R2 graph figure as well?

Sorry I've got myself a bit confused now :(

cheers