Download COINS data to bibliographic software

kerim

Apr 7, 2008, 4:44:28 AM4/7/08
to gcs-pcs-list
Hi, I recently switched from using Firefox to Safari on my Mac, and
the one extension I really miss is Zotero, with its ability to import
COINS data from so many websites right into its database. I was
wondering if there wasn't some way to mimic this behavior in Safari,
allowing me to import the software to my desktop bibliographic
software. I use Bookends, but there are several other options on Mac
OS X as well.

I have the GreaseKit plugin for Safari installed, which allows running
greasemonkey scrips in Safari, and I was able to run the Coins Browser
Extensions greasemonkey scripts from your webpage without any problem.
However, they are all designed to work with a university DOI server to
redirect you to the full text version of an article, when what I want
is to download the metadata to my bibliographic software.

Does anyone know if it is possible to do something like this in
greasemonkey? I don't have any javascript coding experience myself,
but it seems like this functionality would be useful even for Firefox
users who wish to use COINS data in EndNote or other bibliographic
software without having to install Zotero.

Thanks for your help!

kerim
____________________________________
P. Kerim Friedman, Ph.D.
Department of Indigenous Cultures
College of Indigenous Studies
National DongHwa University, TAIWAN
Tel: +886-3-863-5795
http://kerim.oxus.net/
____________________________________

Godmar Back

Apr 7, 2008, 8:17:21 AM4/7/08
to gcs-pc...@googlegroups.com
It should be possible to use a data: URL, which Safari supports.
It mainly depends on your bibliographic software.

For example, Endnote associates itself with a MIME type
"application/x-endnote-refer", hence a URL
"data:application/x-endnote-refer," + escape(refContent) will lead
Endnote to import "refContent" in the same way it would open a file
containing "refContent". This technique is used in MAJAX
(libx.org/majax)

If Bookends provides such as MIME type association, it should be
possible to write a Greasemonkey script that turns CoinS into the
required format.

- Godmar

Alf Eaton

Apr 7, 2008, 9:04:26 AM4/7/08
to gcs-pc...@googlegroups.com
Zotero has a parseContextObject Javascript function that you should be able to adapt:
https://www.zotero.org/svn/extension/trunk/chrome/content/zotero/xpcom/ingester.js