for want of a better name, "SLAPI"

1 view

Daniel Chudnov

Jun 6, 2007, 11:29:54 PM6/6/07
to gcs-pc...@googlegroups.com
I gave a talk at NASIG this past weekend where I describe COinS and
unAPI as steps in the right direction but then try to set the bar
quite a bit higher and suggest a way to get there. Imho, if we could
define a simple microformattish spec for the bounding box around the
dynamic service links (the SL in SLAPI) appearing everywhere these
days, and then couple that with stuff like COinS (to describe a
context object) and unAPI (to standardize an access protocol) we
could make every darned big site in the world equivalently mashable.
And if we could mix zeroconf in there, too, things could get *really*
interesting.

There are a ton of slides, but they should be quick to click through
if you're interested.

http://tinyurl.com/2mnsy6

I'd jump all over trying to push a new spec forward but things are a
little busy for me this summer. Fwiw, a few publisher/vendor-type
reps I spoke with after the talk seemed to be quite interested, so
maybe there's a chance now to bring a lot of the stuff we've talked
about and worked on on this list in the past few years together.

Fyi, -Dan