Selection Process

Maksim Shudrak

May 5, 2023, 10:26:46 AM5/5/23
to GCP Scanner
Hey everyone,

Some of you are interested of getting feedback on why certain proposals were not accepted. While we can not share exact details of each proposal, I can briefly describe selection process that we used.

Basically, we had two rounds of proposals review and 5 mentors who ranked each application. On the first round each mentor was assigned 10-12 applications from which they selected 2-3 best applications making top 12. On the second round, each of us ranked 12 applications and selected top 5. Then, we aggregated results from each mentor and made final top 5 applications. Out of those 5, GSoC 2023 organizers selected 3.

We used the following criteria to rank applications:
1. Application Quality
2. GCP Scanner Contribution Impact
3. Whether candidate is available full-time this summer
4. Previous open-source experience
5. Academic studies, previous work experience, internships

First 2 were the most important for our decision making.

Like I said in the previous email, do not feel discouraged by not being selected this year. We had a lot of very good applications and it was quite hard to choose the best of them.

sudipto baral

May 5, 2023, 11:12:15 AM5/5/23
to Maksim Shudrak, GCP Scanner
Wow, thanks for putting the effort and being so much transparent.