Thank you all for 10 incredible years of Google Code-in

Google Code-in Announce

Jun 10, 2020, 1:08:15 PM6/10/20
to Google Code-in Announce

Google Code-in wrapped up 10 amazing, productive, exhilarating years in January. There have been 14,700+ teenagers from 115+ countries and over 6,000 schools that have completed an impressive 76,200+ open source tasks with 63 open source organizations over the past decade.

The Google Code-in 2019 was our final Google Code-in contest. We've been looking hard at our portfolio of programs and as open source evolves, our programs need to evolve too. We've decided to focus our efforts on Google Summer of Code and programs like Season of Docs that meet projects' sustainability needs going into the next 10 years of open source.

The thousands of students that have participated in GCI over the last 10 years have brought fresh, new perspectives and ideas into our open source communities, inspiring long term committers with their enthusiasm, curiosity and skills. Thanks to all of you!

We want to also say a special thank you to all of the mentors and organization administrators that have spent hundreds, and in some cases thousands(!), of hours inspiring, teaching, and making a difference in the lives of thousands of students. THANK YOU!

These past 10 years of Google Code-in have been an exciting, adrenaline pumping adventure – thanks for coming along on the ride with us!

We will continue to be dedicated to helping open source communities be sustainable and finding new contributors is an essential part of those efforts. While Google Code-in is now officially retired, we look forward to finding new ways to support open source communities.

Best,

Stephanie Taylor

Google Code-in Program Lead