Google Code-in 2014 comes to a close

Stephanie Taylor

Jan 19, 2015, 1:12:27 PM1/19/15
to gci-an...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations to all of the students and mentors who participated in this year's Google Code-in!

2014 was a record year for Google Code-in with 667 students completing at least one task in the contest (almost double the number of students from 2013).  We also had a record number of mentors this year - 205.  Thank you all.

Mentors are currently reviewing the final work submitted by students.

Prize Shipments
The certificates (for students completing at least one task), t-shirts (for students completing 3 or more tasks) and hoodies (for finalists) will start being shipped the first week of February. There are almost 900 packages that the shipping team will be working on for students and mentors. Packages can take anywhere from 3 days to 4 weeks to arrive. Many international locations will have delays due to customs, etc. If your package has not arrived by March 1st please reach out to us at ospo...@gmail.com.

Grand Prize Winners
The 24 Grand Prize winners and 36 Finalists will be announced on the Google Open Source blog and on the GCI contest site on Monday, February 2nd.

We hope you all keep up the great work and continue to work on open source development.

Akshat Tripathi

Jan 20, 2015, 12:30:35 AM1/20/15
to gci-an...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much Google and mentors for all your hard work and efforts, really, this was my first GCI and my first programming competition ever and I loved it! Thanks. :)

Though, in the FAQ page, it is mentioned:

> The five (5) Finalists from each organization are also eligible to receive a > hooded sweatshirt in addition to the certificate and t-shirt.

So, if there are 12 organizations and each of them will pick 5 finalists, won't that make a total of 60 finalists?

Timothy Gu

Jan 20, 2015, 1:20:39 AM1/20/15
to gci-annou...@googlegroups.com, gci-an...@googlegroups.com
Hi Akshat,

On Mon Jan 19 2015 at 10:14:38 PM Akshat Tripathi <akshat1...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Monday, January 19, 2015 at 11:42:27 PM UTC+5:30, Stephanie Taylor wrote:
> Grand Prize Winners
> The 24 Grand Prize winners and 36 Finalists will be announced on the Google Open Source blog and on the GCI contest site on Monday, February 2nd.
>
> We hope you all keep up the great work and continue to work on open source development.

Thank you so much Google and mentors for all your hard work and efforts, really, this was my first GCI and my first programming competition ever and I loved it! Thanks. :)
Glad you enjoyed it!

Though, in the FAQ page, it is mentioned:

> The five (5) Finalists from each organization are also eligible to receive a > hooded sweatshirt in addition to the certificate and t-shirt.

So, if there are 12 organizations and each of them will pick 5 finalists, won't that make a total of 60 finalists?
Stephanie excluded the 24 Grand Prize Winners in the 60 Finalists, so (60-24)=36 Finalists. (I assume the GPWs still get the hoodies but are not considered Finalists.)

Timothy

Akshat Tripathi

Jan 20, 2015, 1:32:12 AM1/20/15
to gci-an...@googlegroups.com, gci-annou...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the clarification. :)

Stephanie Taylor

Jan 20, 2015, 1:38:52 AM1/20/15
to gci-annou...@googlegroups.com, gci-an...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

> Grand Prize Winners
> The 24 Grand Prize winners and 36 Finalists will be announced on the Google Open Source blog and on the GCI contest site on Monday, February 2nd.

Thank you so much Google and mentors for all your hard work and efforts, really, this was my first GCI and my first programming competition ever and I loved it! Thanks. :)

Though, in the FAQ page, it is mentioned:

> The five (5) Finalists from each organization are also eligible to receive a > hooded sweatshirt in addition to the certificate and t-shirt.

So, if there are 12 organizations and each of them will pick 5 finalists, won't that make a total of 60 finalists?

5.2 Selecting Finalist and Grand Prize Winners. Each open source organization will evaluate the work of the 10 highest scoring contestants who completed tasks for their organization and will select 5 of those contestants as Finalists and 2 of those Finalists as Grand Prize Winners for their organization.

There will be 60 students receiving hoodies, the 24 grand prize winners will receive a hoodie as they are considered part of the finalist group as well as the other 36 finalists (2 from each organization).

Best,
Stephanie

Evan McIntire

Jan 20, 2015, 1:06:18 PM1/20/15
to gci-an...@googlegroups.com
This was great fun, got me really interested in Open Source again, thanks for hosting it!

Stephanie Taylor

Jan 20, 2015, 2:00:12 PM1/20/15
to gci-annou...@googlegroups.com, gci-an...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

This was great fun, got me really interested in Open Source again, thanks for hosting it!

You are very welcome. We are glad you enjoyed the program and we hope you continue to explore open source outside of GCI as well.

Best,
Stephanie