GDPR question regarding HTTPS load balancer with global IP address

Vilius Šumskas

Jun 1, 2022, 4:34:41 PM6/1/22
to gce-discussion
Hi,

I'm trying to find information on how traffic flows through external global IP address when it is used with HTTPS load balancer (classic). Doesn't anybody know if there is a guarantee from Google that traffic going into global IP only goes through particular region? For example if I have all my VMs in europe-north1 region and traffic to these VMs is served via global IP HTTP loadbalancer, can I say that data never leaves Europe?
Or it is only a guarantee when I choose Regional IP?

Gabriel Robledo Ahumada

Jun 3, 2022, 11:20:04 AM6/3/22
to gce-discussion

The request to a Global IP address in a HTTP(S) Load Balancer goes to the nearest region relative to where it originated, and it is accomplished by using a routing technology called Anycast

So, it depends on where the client is located; if it is in Europe, sure thing the data will not leave Europe.

Vilius Šumskas

Jun 3, 2022, 5:53:20 PM6/3/22
to gce-discussion

Thank you Gabriel for your response. Yes, I read in the documentation that it goes into nearest region, but my question is is this guaranteed? Also, does this work the same for all regions, or are there any regions currently without Global Endpoints?

--

    Vilius

--
© 2018 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Compute Engine Discussion Google Group (gce-dis...@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the Google Compute Engine community and the Google Compute Engine Team.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gce-discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gce-discussion/02a0e61a-8bcb-44e4-ba9f-411b1401465en%40googlegroups.com.

Dasalem Clemente

Jun 7, 2022, 7:02:11 PM6/7/22
to gce-discussion

To have guaranteed connection traffic from Google, you must use the services that use the physical infrastructure of Google, such as Cloud endpoints , Traffic Director or Network endpoints groups (NEG)

Vilius Šumskas

Jun 8, 2022, 1:42:12 AM6/8/22
to gce-discussion

Thanks, but that‘s not the question I was asking.

--

    Vilius

Leonardo Belloc Mendiola

Jun 13, 2022, 12:07:05 PM6/13/22
to gce-discussion

Yes, the traffic when you choose only a region to deploy your http regional load balancer in GCP will keep traffic between VM instances that are in the same region in Google's network.

  • It is important to mention that Regional external IP can be contacted from anywhere on the internet. The term “regional” indicates that the Google Cloud resources must all be in a single Google Cloud region.

Regarding the regions and the traffic routing, you can consult this document that can help you to check the network services tiers .

Additionally, if you have any additional questions on how Google Data Privacy is managed, you can fill this form in order to clarify them .