Disable file downloads from Jupyter Labs

Aakash Gupta

May 23, 2022, 11:14:10 PM5/23/22
to gce-discussion
Hi
I am setting up a Jupyter Lab / Deep Learning instance for some of my interns. Since they will be working on some production loads. I want to disable access for downloading files from the VM instance or via the Jupyter Labs web UI.

How can I implement it on these machines/ VMs? My interns will be working on python & related packages/binaries. Using a jupyterlab interface. Dataset is in form of SQL, csv files or XML files/ JSON files

Regards
Aakash

Gabriel Robledo Ahumada

May 24, 2022, 4:07:36 PM5/24/22
to gce-discussion
Take a look at this StackOverflow question, it seems like starting from version 3.1.0 you can disable downloads using labextension with the following commands:
# disable downloads from File > Download
jupyter labextension disable @jupyterlab/docmanager-extension:download
# disable downloads from the context menu in the file browser
jupyter labextension disable @jupyterlab/filebrowser-extension:download